Author Topic: Problem with moneyexpert.com website  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Clare

Problem with moneyexpert.com website
« on: April 07, 2008, 04:54:34 PM »
Hi
I use the moneysavingexpert.com forum quite a lot especially at the moment as I am moving house and I've found all sorts of useful info re mortgages, house moving etc. I haven't been able to access it for a couple of days. This happened last week too and then it went back to normal. I can access the main website at www.moneysavingexpert.com but not the forum at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/ or through the website. Could someone try it for me please or suggest what I can do to try to access it? Thanks.

Offline Dave

• digitalimaging-uk
Re: Problem with moneyexpert.com website
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
not much help clare but it's ok for me. i can access the forum ok. are you still having problems ?
Founder Member : digitalimaging-uk : international photography community

Offline Clare

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 09:21:47 PM »
Yup, still no go here. I had a feeling that it might be a problem at my end rather than with the site. Any thoughts on what I could try?

Offline Dave

• digitalimaging-uk
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 10:29:13 PM »
have you another PC in the house you can try from.

i'm thinking it's either blocked by some protection software or your host file. then the ip range might be blocked by your ISP, they sometimes bock a range of addresses, although that's a long shot cause i'd expect the main site and the forum to be on the same server.

CL is the one to fix this so i'm just trying to think of any options.

you could turn off the firewall and see if it connects, but only as a test. then turn it back on.

but as you mention that it happened last week i reckon it's either a dns issue or your isp so maybe try it again tomorrow and/or contact your isp and ask them to try it.

Offline Clare

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 05:06:28 PM »
Doh, why didn't I think to try it from my other PC  ::)! Mind you, it didn't work either  ;D Tried deleting temp files and flushdns but still no joy. Bit nervous about turning off the firewall though.

Offline Clare

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 01:51:30 PM »
I tried turning the Windows firewall on and the Panda firewall off and tried the website but still no luck.

Offline Dave

• digitalimaging-uk
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 03:18:50 PM »
i'm guessing that you are using a router so a hardware firewall as well but i can't see how that would decide itself to block the site. it may be your isp. one thing to try before contacting them is try a payg dial up from another isp, just to see if you can get the site up.

Offline Clare

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 05:57:54 PM »
Woohoo! Fixed it. Funny how it's the silly things you never think of like switching the router off and on again......... Thanks, Dave, it was you mentioning the router made me think I should try it and suddenly all was OK again.

Offline Dave

• digitalimaging-uk
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 11:54:17 PM »
LOL so the PC World switch it off and on again does work on occasions LOL , i may have to change my opinion on PCW .. then again no i won't LOL

glad you got it sorted :)