Author Topic: scvhost.exe using 100% cpu  (Read 1717 times)

Offline a1topdog

scvhost.exe using 100% cpu
« on: May 15, 2007, 09:02:50 AM »
Please help - this is driving me nuts.  Is there anyway I can find out what is causing scvhost (username SYSTEM) to use 100% cpu?

I have a Dell laptop running Windows XP Pro , SP1 + updates. McAfee 2007 Antivirus + Firewall etc and regularly scan for viruses etc.

I did try upgrading to SP2 but uninstalled it as it was causing me no end of firewall issues.
(Note:- I did have this issue before the attempted SP2 upgrade)

If I stop the offending scvhost using “end task” in the Window Task manager the only thing that seems to stop working is my wireless internet connection via my Orange Datacard. 

Update: - I have narrow the problem down. It only happens when I connect to the internet , either via my home wireless connection or my Orange Datacard.

Offline Caroline Lyons

• Administrator
    • CLICtech Internet & Computing Solutions
Re: scvhost.exe using 100% cpu
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 11:23:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum :)

Svchost is a network process so it is common for it to eat resources when connected to the Internet. Because it's associated with malware/spyware, we need to eliminate nasties in the first instance. Please follow the instructions HERE to submit a HJT log for analysis.

Once your log has been analysed, we can offer guidance to remove nasties and if none are present, the next step would be to use a process manager to determine what's causing it to use 100% CPU.
Freelance IT Journalist/Tech

Offline Emma

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 12:01:46 PM »
When did it start happening, a1topdog?
I had that (with a wireless laptop) a couple of weeks ago or so. It drove me mad! Once I'd ascertained it wasn't any spyware etc., I did a bit of googling; and decided that it could have been the Windows Automatic updates, as it was trying to download something at the time.

I'd had it set so that it asked me if I wanted to download, but I've now altered it so that I have to manually check for updates - then I can download them when I know that I'm not going to be using it for a while. So far, touch wood, svchost is being much more reasonable with its demands ... but that was only 10 days or so ago.

Emma

Offline a1topdog

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 01:13:44 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Hi Emma - I can't be 100% sure when it first occured. I'm though it was before I attempted the SP2 download (which was only last month), but my memory is a bit hazy.

I've got a feeling that is either the window automatic updates as you mentioned (I have mine set to auto download but prompt before install) or something to do with my McAfee checking for updates.  As I had so much grief with SP2 I'm not even installing anymore windows automatic downloads.

I've put my HJT here:

http://www.supportpcs.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=497.0

Offline a1topdog

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 02:31:14 PM »
Right - I'm sure I've got it sorted , thanks to Emma's lead.  It was my Windows Automatic Updates causing the problems.

I found this handy download that is like windows Task Manager , but it allows you to see what underlying Services are actually running:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx

I had several svchosts running but until I downloaded this I couldn't see the underlying problem.
I've now disabled Windows Automatic Updates , and fingers crossed problem solved (although I now have a security issue!!)

Offline Emma

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 04:26:33 PM »
it's probably still worth getting Caroline to check that it's not anything nastier than just the update!

As for knowing about them, I have now started relying on noticing when my PC wants to download them & then knowing that there much be some due.

However, don't forget that Caroline posts the announcements here (mostly the second Tuesday of the month)

Offline Caroline Lyons

• Administrator
    • CLICtech Internet & Computing Solutions
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 08:58:45 PM »
Please see my response HERE

As I said, disabling Windows Update isn't an ideal situation
Freelance IT Journalist/Tech