Author Topic: Windows 10 keeps trying to install without being asked ... Help!  (Read 829 times)

Offline Rupert

Having used Windows Vista perfectly satisfactorily for a number of years, when I bought a new PC in 2014 it came with Windows 8.1 installed.  I quickly got used to it and I like it very much indeed.

Microsoft has installed Windows 10 installation files in readiness for the time that I 'choose to upgrade'.  I don't want to upgrade, so I continually ignore the pop-ups that accompany their coercions to do so.

This week, in common with hundreds of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users (if social media and numerous other forums are to be believed) I have been plagued with Windows 10 trying to install itself without being asked.  Not only that, but the installation can start at any time without warning, cutting across whatever you might be doing at the time (this happened to me twice).  There are no screen minimising options, no options to cancel it or delete it, so the only way to stop it continuing to install Windows 10 was to turn the PC off at the mains.

I've since been into the Windows Updates page and unchecked the 'Automatically Install Updates' box in favour of the 'Give me recommended updates in the same way I receive important updates'.  I have left unchecked the box which says 'Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows' assuming that will stop Windows 10 stuff arriving.

No updates of any description have actually been installed since 12.3.16 but obviously I want all the regular Windows 8.1 updates without all the Windows 10 stuff.

My Updates status page now says:

Most recent check for updates:  Today at 11:01
Updates were installed:  14/3/16 at 18:11 (failed)
You receive updates:  For Windows only

Updates to install:

Important (1) - upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586 (2.68MB) .. the box appeared to be checked, so I unchecked it
Optional (35) - Windows 8.1 Drivers (5), Windows 8.1 (29), Windows 8.1 and later drivers (1)

All the above remain unchecked, so should I check them all and click 'Install' having first reassured myself that there is no Windows 10 stuff lurking in there?

How can I rid my computer of all this Windows 10 material ... indeed, is it actually possible to achieve this?

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Windows 10 keeps trying to install without being asked ... Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 08:05:01 AM »
Tha top item on the list will work:    http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/     GWX Control Panel.
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline Rupert

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 06:41:58 PM »
Sorry Willabong, I should have acknowledged your help sooner.

I have used GWX Control Panel to successfully remove all vestiges of Windows 10.  The funny thing is, now that their little application has completely gone, my PC stays asleep when it's supposed to, and doesn't awake by itself for no good reason .. something that was driving me mad! 

I wonder if the W10 stuff was messing with its head?!

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 08:41:58 PM »
No problem Rupert:  Windows update could well be responsible, as it will try and push the W10 upgrade as often as it can! This is down to Microsoft's policy to get everyone onto Windows 10 as soon as possible.  Having said that, Windows 10 is a huge leap forward in MS operating systems, and I for one will never go back to any earlier version!
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com