Author Topic: PC wakes up from 'Sleep' without being asked! Why?  (Read 839 times)

Offline Rupert

PC wakes up from 'Sleep' without being asked! Why?
« on: December 12, 2015, 04:15:22 PM »
Not a huge problem in the scheme of life itself, but every now and then when my PC has been in 'Sleep' mode it decides to wake up without me telling it to.

I've sometimes returned to my office room to find the desktop staring at me, even though I know for a fact that nobody has been in there since I was last using the computer.  Today, while it was supposed to be asleep, I was working at an adjacent desk and I heard it waking up all by itself.  I popped it back to sleep, only to find a few minutes later that it had woken up again.

The OS is 8.1 and there are no other computer related devices in use in this house, so presumably there's nothing happening here that's triggering it's wake-up call.

Any ideas what's going on?

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: PC wakes up from 'Sleep' without being asked! Why?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 11:12:55 AM »
Power settings on computer are often unreliable to say the least. The reason your computer is waking up could be one of many things:

A faulty keyboard key (sticking or to sensitive) can wake up your PC at inconvenient times, or an over sensitive mouse. Incorrect settings are less likely to cause problems, but it is worth checking your power settings.
Another cause of a PC waking up, and this is the most likely, is a program starting up in the background that is updating itself, or the Windows system may be updating itself.

A computer waking from sleep is more of an inconvenience than a problem. I personally never use the sleep function on my PC's, all I do is switch my monitor and mouse off when I leave the room for any extended time.
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline Rupert

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 07:22:13 PM »
Thanks Willabong ..

Since first posting I've Googled 'PC wakes up from Sleep mode' and loads of links have come up.  So far I've disabled my mouse from being a wake up tool, although I usually just tap any key to wake it up .. I don't really suspect the mouse of anything, especially since I bought a brand new wireless model with an On/Off switch!

One PC know-it-all site suggested a number of things, including how to stop a network card from waking up the PC. I didn't know what a network card was, but following the instructions to find a list of 'Network Adapters' revealed 12 items, 8 of which are variations on the theme of 'WAN Miniport (*****)'. 2 others are called 'Bluetooth Device (*****) and the remaining 2 are 'Intel (R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260' and 'Realtek PCle GBE Family Controller'. Naturally I haven't a clue what any of these are!

The instruction continues: 'In the dialog that opens, click the tab "Power Management", remove the check by "Allow this device to wake the computer", click "OK" and close up Device Manager'. Trouble is, although I can see the network adapters as a list, clicking on any of them does nothing, so I can't seem to progress to the 'Power Management' stage!

Any ideas?

Offline Willabong

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 09:34:02 AM »
Today, most computers have network cards. Network cards enable a computer to exchange data with other PC'z that are connected to the network. so as an example, if you have two or more computers in your home, a network card will enable you to open a folder on the PC you are using,which is actually on another PC in your home, and then transfer any files you put in that folder to the other PC. That is the simple answer!
It is possible (but not probable) that if say both PC,s are up and running, that activity on one can cause activity such as a wake up call on the other PC, but it is unlikely!

All sleep mode does to a PC, is close or limit activity on parts of your system, eg: Hard drive/monitors. The hard drive is not completely disabled, it is just stopped from receiving access signals, so it slows down and seems to stop. The wake up call re-activates the drive. The actual savings in electricity while in sleep mode are minimal, because neither the monitor nor the hard drive is completely switched off, and are still receiving electricity (sort of ticking over like a car in neutral)!
As I stated above, I never use sleep mode on a desktop PC, though I do use a form of it on a laptop by simply closing the lid. 

Offline Rupert

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 11:46:04 AM »
Thanks again Willabong ...

My PC is still waking up without my bidding!  I must try accessing the command line and find out why (new territory for me, but I don't suppose I can do any harm).

Although my PC doesn't appear to have a 'hibernate' option, can you tell me the difference between that and 'sleep', please?

Offline Willabong

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 07:55:56 PM »
Sleep is explained above, Hibernate puts everything too sleep except the BIOS wake up call, so when you click your mouse, sleep will wake your PC almost immediately. Hibernate will take longer to wake the PC, it is more like starting your PC for the first time, only a little quicker!

PS:  I would lean toward a background task or program causing the wake up problem!