Author Topic: Speakers icon periodically disappears from system tray  (Read 479 times)

Offline Rupert

Speakers icon periodically disappears from system tray
« on: August 24, 2015, 02:38:16 PM »
When things are working normally, there's a little speaker icon visible in my system tray (lower right of screen).  This will usually have a 'No Entry' symbol by it, indicating that sound is currently off.  When I press the sound key on my keyboard I get sound and can control the volume using the appropriate keys.

Every now and then, when I boot up the PC, the speaker icon isn't there, although I can still activate sound and volume in the usual way and the on-screen indicator momentarily appears as normal in the upper left of my screen.  I've found that by simply restarting the computer the icon always returns.

Why should the icon disappear intermittently in this way?

(OS is Windows 8.1 x64bit)

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Speakers icon periodically disappears from system tray
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 10:44:09 AM »
It shouldn't?  But the icon is not essential to the sound working, it is only an indicator and a means of getting to the sound settings quickly, and has no other function.
You could go into your sound settings (right click on icon or find the settings in control panel), switch the 'display icon in system tray' off then on again (don't forget to apply the setting), this sometimes is all that is needed to correct the problem.

Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com