Author Topic: PC extended warranty - is it worth it? Thoughts anyone?  (Read 840 times)

Offline Rupert

PC extended warranty - is it worth it? Thoughts anyone?
« on: August 18, 2015, 11:54:01 AM »
My HP Envy PC is coming up to a year old.  It cost me a grand at the time and for the past few weeks the Knowhow people (Currys PC World service arm) have been regaling me with extended warranty care plan offers.

At ?226 for a four year deal (equivalent to ?1.09 pw) I'm sorely tempted.  However, it's not as if I can't afford to pay for a repair up front and anyway, what's the sort of thing that's likely to go wrong that would require an 'expensive' repair?

Touch wood I've never had a computer completely break down or crash since I started using them back in 1997.  I'd be pleased to hear the thoughts of anyone who has an opinion on these extended warranties, before my offer period expires in September.

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
Re: PC extended warranty - is it worth it? Thoughts anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 02:54:16 PM »
Personally if I had the ?226 spare I'd be inclined to put it in a savings account and use it for any repairs or upgrades it may need over the next few years. PC World (the US magazine) reckon extended warranties shouldn't cost more than 15% of the purchase cost - this clearly costs far more than that.
Freelance writer

Offline Rupert

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:12:06 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Nick. 

My own thoughts are along those lines so it looks like I'll be hanging onto my cash for now!

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 10:31:07 AM »
I would say there is a case for extended warranties in some cases:  A Printer/Scanner combo when it breaks down can cost an arm and a leg to replace. But Curries offers a replacement warranty that can be very cost effective.
However a PC is a different animal, and as a breakdown usually involves a drive or power supply (relatively cheap things), the price of an extended warranty is never justified!
So really, it is up to you or I using common sense, when considering an extended warranty?
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com