Author Topic: A couple of websites almost impossible to work on .. what's happened?  (Read 989 times)

Offline Rupert

My wife loves eBay and spends hours looking on there.  She also buys quite often and we therefore have an accompanying PayPal account to make payment simpler.

In the past few months the eBay website has become extremely difficult to work on.  Browsing is fine, but as soon as you go to click on something to buy and you start typing letters into the relevant boxes etc., it's as if the site is only partially 'listening'!  You can type stuff in at normal speed and when you look up at least half of what you've typed isn't even there.  My wife has taken to bashing the keys to make the letters register, in spite of the fact that I have told her that it's not the force with which you hit the key, but the fact that the contact has been made but not been registered first time by the website!

Scrolling is also similarly marred by an annoying intermittent tendency to freeze while scrolling (using mouse wheel) and then suddenly 'releasing' the page whereupon it scrolls rapidly of its own accord, usually to a point beyond where you wanted to look.

I myself use a photographers forum (among several forums I visit regularly) and that particular site too has similar issues, at least as far as I am concerned.  Now, if I wish to start or contribute to a thread/discussion, I have to compose my narrative on a word document before cut and pasting it into the 'reply' box.

Has anybody else experienced similar issues with commonly accessed websites?  If so, what was the remedy?

My HP desktop computer is less than a year old, it runs Windows 8.1 x64bit and we never used to have these sorts of issues with websites.  My wife is on the verge of giving up eBay altogether, which is a shame because I know how much pleasure she gets from looking on there.

Someone .. please help!

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: A couple of websites almost impossible to work on .. what's happened?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 10:22:07 AM »
Is your Keyboard and Mouse  wireless or wired, and if wired, is it usb?

Either way, remove the wirless widget from the USB port it is connected to and try a different USB port. Or if wired, then remove the cables from the current USB port and try a different one!
And make sure all the cable plug ends are pushed firmly home!
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline Rupert

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 02:30:48 PM »
Wireless mouse and keyboard are not the problem, Willabong, but thanks for your suggestion.

I can be at the computer for a length of time, looking on here and numerous other places, including the websites I mentioned above as being 'troublesome'.  The issues only occur on the sites mentioned, everything being fine elsewhere, so it has to be an inherent problem with the websites themselves.

I'd love to know if other eBay users have similar problems when they're logged on and trying to navigate the site.  It drives my wife crazy these days when her keyboard and mouse commands are not followed properly.  As I said before, she's probably going to give up on eBay altogether as a result.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 10:41:34 PM »
I use ebay occasionally and have never experienced a problem such as you describe?  Check to see if ebay has a contact email address, then send them a description of the problem.
Also if possible try a different computer to find out if the same problems occur on it?

Offline Rupert

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 02:42:19 PM »
I'll try to make contact with eBay but they're such a huge concern I don't rate my chances of a speedy or relevant reply!

I only have the one computer so I can't try the other option you mention unfortunately, but thanks again for your suggestions.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 10:36:49 AM »
If you know someone who has a computer, ask them to check ebay out, to see if they have this problem? The point is, that if they don't have the problem (and I don't), then it points to your computer as being the source of the problem.