Author Topic: Invitation to reserve free upgrade to Windows 10  (Read 642 times)

Offline Rupert

Invitation to reserve free upgrade to Windows 10
« on: July 16, 2015, 05:27:02 PM »
I've received a Windows icon announcing the availability of a free downloadable upgrade to Windows 10.  I've clicked the 'reserve' key but this can be reversed subsequently apparently.

The process involves them sending all the installation files/data and automatically installing them to your PC.  Then, on or after 29th July, you can click on 'Install' where the process takes up to an hour on older machines.

My PC isn't a year old yet and it's got Windows 8.1 installed.  I don't do anything other than surf the net, create or alter data files/folders, edit and store photographs and use the Windows Live Mail email service.  I'm not a gamer, I don't use social media, I don't own a 'smart' anything and I only have the one desktop PC here at home.

Does Windows 10 offer me any advantages over what I've already got? 

Would I only be leaving myself open to problems if I proceeded with the free upgrade?

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Invitation to reserve free upgrade to Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 08:54:05 PM »
It depends on your perception of Windows 10!

Windows 10 has as it's core make up many features of Windows 7 and Windows 8, plus a few extra stability and security additions. For those who miss the start menu in Windows 8, it has been re-introduced in Windows 10 (though with a new look). There is also a new personal assistant named Cortana that will be continually developed and is already very good!
Windows 10 will be developed and improved for the next 10 years with totally free updates, so W10 is a long term project with Microsoft, and will be their last operating system for many years!

The bottom line is that Windows 10 will only get better as time goes on.

I for one will have no hesitation in installing Windows 10 on all my qualifying PC's.

Remember, you are not being forced to upgrade to W10, and in any case, after downloading it, you have a year to decide whether you need it or not. But keep this in mind:  As far as Microsoft is concerned, W10 is the future and probably the only Windows choice for many years to come!
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline Rupert

Re: Invitation to reserve free upgrade to Windows 10
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 05:17:43 PM »
Since I've only really just got used to the new Windows 8.1 interface and I find that there's nothing more that I need that I can't already find or do on there, I've decided to stay put for the time being.

But thanks for your opinion, Willabong!