Author Topic: How do I open a .DAT file?  (Read 465 times)

Offline Rupert

How do I open a .DAT file?
« on: May 18, 2015, 02:15:39 PM »
I've received an email from a trustworthy source which contains a couple of jpegs, a couple of .png files and two .DAT files

I've tried opening the .DAT files in Notepad but there are no clues in there as to the original file format.  I've tried renaming the file extension as .doc, .docx, .pdf. etc but so far no joy!

The sender of the email is a third party not personally known to me, so before I trouble them for a resend, can somebody on here tell me the simplest and quickest way to convert/open .DAT files please?  I suspect the files contain either more pictures or some legend

I run Windows 8.1 x64 bit

Thank you

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: How do I open a .DAT file?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 07:58:39 PM »
.dat files are actually data files, and usually contain digital information regarding other files in the folder. They are NOT picture files, and are often not even needed.
Take the picture files out of the folder and if they display correctly in your photo/art program, you can delete the .dat files. :smiley

PS: Even if you can get the .dat files to display their content, you will probably not be able to read and understand the data, because it will be in computer digital format.
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com