Author Topic: Can't seem to get old laptop to connect to my network  (Read 794 times)

Offline Rupert

Can't seem to get old laptop to connect to my network
« on: February 23, 2015, 12:10:33 PM »
I have custody of an old Samsung laptop which I'm currently clearing down prior to retaining it as a spare for a group to which I belong.

I thought it might be wise to install a free anti-virus programme (probably Malwarebytes) and run it for good measure.  However, although the laptop can see my wireless network it stubbornly refuses to connect!

I've been through the various processes which Windows comes up with to check the network connections, preferred networks list, network authentication, data encryption settings, etc., etc., but it still won't connect to the internet.  I have fibre-optic broadband with a BT Home Hub 5 and download speeds consistently around 70 Mbps, so signal strength won't be a problem.

Am I missing something here?

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
Re: Can't seem to get old laptop to connect to my network
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 06:15:17 PM »
What's the Samsung make and model? This may be down to the fact your router is using encryption (WPA2-PSK in all probability) that isn't supported by the laptop's wireless adapter. If that is the case, your stumped short of obtaining a wireless adapter (USB or maybe slot-in card) that will connect.
Freelance writer

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 08:11:20 AM »
I just came away from a friends house, and he had the same problem you are experiencing, everything checks out, Windows picks up the routers Wireless network, but the laptop will not connect to the Internet ... After 2 hours of going over and over every Internet setting, even calling BT technical support, the laptop still would not connect!
The problem was the network card in the laptop. He could get on the Internet via a cable connection, but could not connect via wireless.
If it is the wireless part of the card that has finished it's earthly course, then effectively, so has your laptop, as fixing this would cost you an arm and a leg! An external usb card may work, but I wouldn't bet on it!

PS: Try a cable connection, if you can get on the Internet that way, then your wireless part of the card is fried!   
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline Rupert

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 05:24:07 PM »
What's the Samsung make and model? This may be down to the fact your router is using encryption (WPA2-PSK in all probability) that isn't supported by the laptop's wireless adapter. If that is the case, your stumped short of obtaining a wireless adapter (USB or maybe slot-in card) that will connect.

It's a Samsung P28 which I know is truly ancient and very low on RAM too, but we just thought we'd hang onto it in case the new Toshiba went down (unlikely).

I'll try plugging my Ethernet cable into the P28 (it currently feeds my HP Envy of course) and see whether that works (in the next day or two - I'm tied up with outside commitments at the moment). 

Your assumption re WPA2-PSK is absolutely correct but, as I've found (and so too it would seem has Willabong) the old girl remains stubbornly unaware of her requirement to access the internet wirelessly!