Author Topic: XP restore point .. how?  (Read 656 times)

Offline Rupert

XP restore point .. how?
« on: February 23, 2015, 12:01:24 PM »
I've been cleaning off a load of unwanted data from an old laptop.  The intention is that this unit will be kept as a spare in the event that the new laptop fails for some reason.

Whilst deleting material yesterday, I noticed in the Programs folder that there were three Microsoft Office programmes installed:  Microsoft Office Standard 2003, Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 and Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007.  I deleted the two earlier versions, believing that the 2007 programme was the same as that which I have installed on my own PC.  However, when I subsequently went to the Microsoft Office folder, the shortcuts to  Excel, Word and PowerPoint (2003) were no longer there, which came as no surprise since I'd just deleted them.  However, I had expected to find shortcuts to those same programmes relating to the 2007 edition, but only PowerPoint remained .. somehow I seem to have removed Word and Excel.

The strange thing is that, when I go to the list of installed programmes via the Add or Remove Programs route, I can clearly see that Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007 is still installed (size: 566.00MB), so why can't I see most of it?

Since I had already emptied the recycle bin I was unable to select restore from that folder.  I wonder if I was to go to an earlier restore point in Windows XP whether the deleted programme components will still be there?  If so, how do I perform a restore point in XP?

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
Re: XP restore point .. how?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 10:42:44 AM »
Assuming System Restore is switched on and working correctly, you may be able to restore Office (if you've not already done so) - XP is less robust when it comes to System Restore, though, so there are no guarantees, sadly.

Open System Restore via Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools. From here it should be straightforward.

Going forward, it's always tricky managing two versions of the same program. Ideally you'd remove Office 2007, then Office 2003 and then reinstall Office 2007 on its own. if you wanted to go down this route - worth verifying the product key you have for Office 2007 before removing it, though - just in case.
Freelance writer

Offline Rupert

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 04:46:52 PM »
Thanks for replying, Nick.

Unfortunately the system restore function had been turned off by someone in the past, so when I enabled it the most historical restore point available is today's date!

See too my other post re unable to make a wireless connection.  I've followed all the Windows steps following its 'diagnosing problems' but still can't get my wireless broadband signal to be 'seen' by this elderly laptop!

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 06:13:11 PM »
I'll look at the wireless problem in a minute. That's the problem with elderly devices - you can find they're no longer fit for purpose, particularly now XP is well beyond its death date. If you want to continue using Office you're probably going to have to try and reinstall it - remove Office 2007 if you can, then see if you can simply reinstall that on its own. Knowing XP, though, and the way you removed the Office 2003 folders, this may not be as straightforward as all that!
Freelance writer