Author Topic: Resolution Notification: Clone Displays configuration. Eh?  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Rupert

Resolution Notification: Clone Displays configuration. Eh?
« on: January 29, 2015, 05:35:31 PM »
Having finally configured the new laptop, I did a dry run this afternoon using our trusty Mitsubishi XD300U Projector.  The new PC has a VGA out connection so it was simply a case of hooking it up as usual to the projector.

And that's where the fun started!

The image as displayed on the projector screen was cut off on both sides (a bit like 3:4 compared to 16:9) although I could see it full width on the laptop screen.  A window popped up as follows:

Resolution Notification:  This is not the optimal screen resolution for the Clone Displays configuration.  Consider using 1366 x 768 resolution to ensure the best viewing experience.  Resolution settings other than 1366 x 768 may reduce your viewing experience.

I right clicked on the laptop's screen, selected Screen resolution and saw in that window that the resolution would appear to be 1366 x 768 (recommended) already.

I badly need help here, as others are going to want to use the new laptop very soon for their presentations.

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Resolution Notification: Clone Displays configuration. Eh?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 05:54:25 PM »
Don't know much about using projectors?  But what you are seeing on the laptop is the laptop screen resolution. If you are using a program to transfer the display to the projector, then there should be a setting in that program to set the projector display to 1366x768 ?
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:48:51 AM »
The problem is two-fold from what I can gather:

1. Your projector's maximum resolution is 1024x768, I believe. Obviously the laptop is 1366x768, and may complain/refuse if you try to set it any lower. It'll also result in the display on the laptop looking stretched.

2. You're cloning the laptop display to the projector rather than using it as a separate extension to the main display.

Options are:
1. Right-click the desktop and choose Screen Resolution. Choose the "Extend" option to give the projector its own desktop space. Your group would then need to output the presentation to the projector's desktop. Depends on the app being used as to how easy this is.
2. Resize the presentation window to 1024x768, then position it in the middle of the laptop screen so it appears full-view in the projector.

The second is fiddly to do manually each time you want to use it, but I know of a program that should make it as simple as right-clicking the presentation app window and selecting the desired window size and position. It is - of course - free. I'm going to write up a quick four-step tutorial on doing just that for Windows Help & Advice in an hour or so, so will pass on the steps when it's done in case that approach appeals.

The final option is buy a new projector, but obviously that's additional expense.
Freelance writer

Offline Rupert

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 05:34:51 PM »
Thanks Nick,

I haven't had a lot of time today to implement your suggestions but I thought you'd like to know that, when I set the laptop screen resolution to 1024 x 768 the image on the screen became as I saw it yesterday when projected, i.e. sides cut off as if 4:3 from a 16:9 image.

When I right click the desktop and choose Screen Resolution, there is no 'Extend' option that I can see.  The window is entitled Change the appearance of your display and there is a box in which a diagram of a screen is shown with two active links - Detect and Identify.  Below the box there are three dropdowns:

Display (in this case only 1.Mobile PC Display is available)
Resolution (all points between 1366 x 768 down to 1024 x 768)
Orientation (four options here)

Other links on the same page are:

Project to a second screen (or press WIN + P)
Make text and other items larger or smaller
What display settings should I choose?

Finally: OK / Cancel / Apply

Tomorrow I shall have another look at all these options whilst coupled up to the projector.  Incidentally, replacement is not an option at this time!

In your Option 1. you mention an 'app' being used to project images.  We don't have apps I'm afraid.  Presentations are conducted very simply, thus:

Insert memory stick containing PowerPoint; locate said drive in Search; double click to open it; select Slide Show and you're up and running.

The old laptop has a 4:3 screen of resolution 1024 x 768.  When I select Display Properties and view the Settings tab I can see that there's a dropdown with just the one option in it which says:

1. (Multiple Monitors) on ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000 IGP

Is there anything in the above that might help you point me in the right direction?

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 05:54:25 PM »
Hi Rupert,
          You won't see any additional options about extending the display until you plug in the projector. However, the "Project to a second screen" link may become relevant at some point.

With regards to the slideshows - it sounds like PowerPoint is installed on the laptop, while the presentations themselves are stored on the USB drive. Is that correct? If so, then you'll definitely need to set up the projector as an extended display:

To do this, see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors - it confirms the option will only appear once the projector is physically plugged in and detected.

In terms of setting up the slideshow to appear on the projector screen, there's a Set Up Slide Show option in PowerPoint (it's on the Slide Show ribbon in PowerPoint 2010 for example) where you can click a "Display slide show on" drop-down menu and select the projector when it's connected. This should then hopefully allow the slideshow to run on the projector without any issues regarding its resolution.
Freelance writer

Offline Rupert

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »
Hi again Nick!

I think we're getting there ..

In answer to your question, we have Microsoft Office Home & Student 2013 installed on the new laptop, so any PowerPoint file is recognised and opened in the latest version.  I've done a dry run using a 2007 version of PowerPoint and it works just fine, opening in the latest version (with the currently projected image showing on the laptop screen and the next slide/frame showing as a smaller image to the right of it).

I managed to set things up so that PowerPoint slides display correctly without any unwanted cropping. So far so good!

However, when there's no presentation being run, i.e. nothing from Drive (D:) being projected, the desktop image (which is of course a 16:9 image on a widescreen laptop monitor) still fails to project without lateral cropping.  It's as if the projector only wants to show it as a 4:3 image.  I find this odd, since the PowerPoint presentations contain numerous images in all manner of crop formats (ranging from 3x4, 3x5, 6x4, 7x5, 8x10 and 16x9) and they display correctly, following my latest configuration changes.

Any ideas what else I might adjust to be able to see the whole desktop image between slide shows?  (If you think it could help I can PM you with PDFs of the operating manuals for both the new laptop and the old projector).

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 12:23:10 PM »
Hi,
    Are you saying the slides show up correctly on the projector screen?

Your projector's resolution according to its specs is 1,024x768, which is obviously 4:3 aspect ratio, while the laptop's aspect ratio - 1,366x768 - is widescreen. If your laptop's screen settings are set to clone rather than extend the desktop then you'll have the problem you see - the projector physically can't display 1,366 pixels so seems to have settled to displaying the middle 1,024.

If you extend the desktop, you should effectively end up with two desktops - your main laptop display, and an additional desktop sized 1,024x768. You won't necessarily see any taskbar or desktop icons on it, but when you drag or send application windows to the projector's desktop they should resize and show up correctly as 1,024x768 on that display only.

In other words, the projector in this instance is best used for displaying the PowerPoint slides during a presentation - if it can do that, anything else you get from it is a bonus.
Freelance writer

Offline Rupert

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 02:16:46 PM »
Thanks for helping me on a Sunday, Nick!

To summarise:

Projected pictures present in their native format, without any cropping, so no worries there. 
The laptop's desktop image shows as a 4:3 ratio picture, cropped by the projector from the original 16:9 that I see on the laptop screen.

Is there any way that I can reduce the size of the desktop image so that it projects in its entirety?  Maybe if I re-process it in Photoshop, adding a large margin that I can fill in black, perhaps that will work.  In  fact I'm going to try that right now and let you know if it works!

Usually when I select a desktop background image it appears on the desktop with constrained proportions so it looks right, but unless it was originally cropped as a 16:9 image, it'll resize other format ratios to entirely fill the screen.

As you say, at the moment the principal function of the laptop & projector combination is to be able to hold group meetings accompanied by PowerPoint slide shows, and to this end everything is now set up just fine.  It would be nice to be able to rectify the other thing, but not a deal breaker!

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 02:38:52 PM »
No worries! I suspect your workaround will work, but you might want to try a free program called Dual Wallpaper instead - see http://dualmonitortool.sourceforge.net/. You can then leave the original desktop wallpaper as it is, then create a dedicated background (based on the first if you like) that will show up on the projector display. No idea how it works, but hopefully it's pretty straightforward!
Freelance writer

Offline Rupert

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 05:37:48 PM »
Hi Nick ..

I thought I'd update this thread by letting you know that, by setting the laptop screen resolution to a halfway point, the desktop image now appears in its entirety when the laptop is plugged into the projector.  This means that, when changing over memory sticks for example, the audience can at least enjoy the desktop image as I intended.  Material viewed on the laptop screen itself doesn't look bad either, in spite of the slightly reduced resolution factor!

Thanks again for all your help with this.