Author Topic: Turning Internet Explorer off  (Read 540 times)

Offline Rupert

Turning Internet Explorer off
« on: January 26, 2015, 04:48:57 PM »
Our local U3A now has a new laptop computer which I have just commissioned for them.

I have been asked to disable the internet so that those who use the laptop for group presentations aren't tempted to surf the net and possibly collect viruses or malware along the way.  The intended use of the laptop is almost exclusively to run PowerPoint presentations through a projector via a VGA connection (DE-15/HD-15).

To turn off Internet Explorer you probably already know the procedure:

Start/Search/Control Panel/Programs/Turn Windows features on or off/Uncheck Internet Explorer 11/Click OK/Restart PC when prompted.

However, as I go to uncheck Internet Explorer, I get a warning window that says:

Turning off Internet Explorer 11 might affect other Windows features and programs installed on your computer, including default settings.  Do you want to continue?

Apart from MS Office Home & Student 2013 and Adobe Acrobat Reader, there is nothing installed on the laptop that didn't already come with Windows 8.1, therefore how likely is it that stuff will be disrupted if I turn off IE ?

Presumably turning it back on again is a simple process of reversing the above procedure?  The idea is that, as I am the custodian of the laptop, whenever it comes back into my possession I will reactivate an internet connection in order that automatic Windows updates, etc. can be installed.

Finally, as for anti-virus software, we currently have 30 days complimentary use of McAfee, thereafter we either pay for protection (limited budget in our local U3A!) or I install either Avast or AVG for free.  I know these are only quarantine devices, but some protection is better than none at all.  Do you have a preference out of those two?

On reflection, if I do install some form of anti-virus software, does it really matter if users of the laptop choose to go on the internet?  I've a mind to share that thought with the committee ... it would probably save a whole heap of trouble!

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Turning Internet Explorer off
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 06:58:09 PM »
Turning off IE shouldn't cause any problems. But as long as your clients are not little disobedient children, why not just turn off the wireless connection (usually a switch on the laptop). Then you could stick a paper seal over the switch to stop access.
That way you would know if someone disobeyed the rules!
You could also remove the IE icon from the desktop and start bar, so anyone trying to use the internet would have to navigate to the Microsoft program folder to access IE. Then if your U3A decided at a later date to allow access, all they would need to do is copy a new shortcut icon from the Microsoft/IE folder in Program Files, and turn wireless access back on!

As for Avast and AVG free being quarantine devices, that is just not true! The only real differences are that with the free versions you have to run scans manually (click the scan button) and download virus updates manually (click another button). Apart from these restrictions there is no real difference in protection from the full paid for versions. By the way, McAfee is a load of junk!

If you are going to install one of these free versions, then I strongly suggest that you install Avast free, as it is far less of a memory hog that AVG.
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline Rupert

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 11:53:34 AM »
Thanks Willabong .. all good advice as usual!

McAfee came bundled with Windows 8.1 so, when the complimentary period has expired, should I endeavour to uninstall it altogether before installing Avast, or is it OK merely to ignore it? 

One final thought .. I have Norton installed on my own PC and I also manually run Malwarebytes (free version) from time to time.  Is the free version of Avast the same sort of thing, i.e. it would need to be run manually from time to time?

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 05:35:04 PM »
Yes, it is similar to MalwareBytes! Just update the virus definitions manually as often as you can (every week is OK!). Run a scan when you feel you need to!
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com