Author Topic: A question about Recovery Image (D:)  (Read 789 times)

Offline Rupert

A question about Recovery Image (D:)
« on: January 13, 2015, 04:34:46 PM »
Whenever I open the File Explorer of my new HP PC, which brings up the screen entitled This PC, I always notice under Devices and drives that there is one named Recovery Image (D:).

Whilst I understand what this drive is for and, more importantly, that I should never save or store anything in there, I am curious to know why it always appears to be nearly full?  It's currently showing 1.60 GB free of 12.6 GB.

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
Re: A question about Recovery Image (D:)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 04:41:13 PM »
Rupert, that's your recovery partition. Normally it's hidden from view - so you can't accidentally access it - but HP machines in particular have a habit of leaving it in full view. The partition will contain all the files required to restore or recover your PC.

I think it's possible to "hide" the drive simply by removing its drive letter using Computer Management. See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/change-add-remove-drive-letter#1TC=windows-7 for a guide to doing so if necessary. The drive isn't touched, should still be accessible in case of an emergency, but it will no longer show up in Windows Explorer (you can always put it back again later if necessary by adding back the drive letter, but I doubt you'll ever need or want to!).
Freelance writer

Offline Rupert

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 05:31:18 PM »
Thanks Nick.  I'm quite happy that it sits where it does in full view .. I know not to touch it and I'm the sole user of this PC. 

You didn't answer my main query though: 'Why does it always appear to be nearly full'?  What happens when that last 1.60 GB of data finds its way in there?  Would it ever actually become 'full' and if so, with what?

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 05:43:58 PM »
Ah, apologies. Are you saying it's slowly filling up? If so, it's possible the drive is being used by Windows to temporarily unpack files for Windows Update (it likes to do that - use a different drive or partition). Those temp files should subsequently be deleted, but they're often left behind. If that's the case, open up drive D and let me know what files and folders you can see in there - I'll hopefully be able to identify them.
Freelance writer

Offline Rupert

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 07:10:13 PM »
Cheers Nick .. In answer to your question, it always shows 1.60 GB free of 12.6 GB, so I don't think it's really 'filling up'. 

I opened drive D and the first level shows Recovery - illustrated by a little picture that looks a bit like a portable external hard drive.  Opening this file folder further, the next screen shows an HP logo at the top, under which is the title of the folder: Recovery Partition.  Under this, in red, there's the word Warning.  Then it merely says what I expected it to, namely: This area of your hard drive (or partition) contains files used to perform a system recovery.  Do not delete or alter any of these files.  Any change to this partition could prevent a system recovery in the future.

I'm sure everything is actually working just fine the way it is and the way it's supposed to .. I was merely curious to know a bit about this drive that I should never access.  Hope I haven't wasted your time!

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 09:40:50 AM »
Not at all! Always good to find out more about these things - I never knew, for instance, that the drive is at least protected with various dire warnings attached (I long ago removed the recovery partition from my old Vista laptop as I quickly upgraded it to Windows 7!).
Freelance writer