Author Topic: Is it possible to enable backwards compatibility with XP?  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Is it possible to enable backwards compatibility with XP?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 12:00:32 AM »
The trouble with SSD's is they are usually very small, unless you are willing to pay an arm and a leg (plus a few ribs) for a bigger one!
And I personally don't think the speed benefits justify the price, but that is my opinion. You can buy a 2 terabyte drive for the price of a small 150/200 gig SSD.
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »
I couldn't live without a SSD drive now - they really do make a significant difference to overall performance. Windows boots in under a minute, apps open in five seconds instead of 30, everything is just so much snappier. And having got them installed in all my computers now, I struggled badly when I went back to older platter-based drives when looking at my parents' computers (they've since been upgraded too).

I personally always try to pair a SSD with a regular drive - even in a laptop or my Mac mini (that was a journey and a half, stripping it down just to fit a SSD alongside the main drive). They are obviously comparatively expensive, but it wasn't that long ago you'd pay ?100 for a 256GB drive, and I find that's more than enough for Windows and all my programs, particularly if data's shunted off elsewhere.
Freelance writer

Offline Willabong

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 09:02:32 AM »
It's a matter of preference, speed against size, with price playing it's part?

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 09:12:38 AM »
Oh absolutely. It's just in my case, that extra speed isn't just marginal, but makes a significant difference to my productivity. But I understand why people would need more than 256GB - my ripped media takes over 1TB for example. It's why I pair SSD and HDD - that and the old rule of trying to keep data stored separately to Windows/programs, of course!
Freelance writer

Offline Willabong

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 09:22:17 AM »
As a matter of interest Nick, my main PC boots (including loading several start up programs) in 30 to 35 seconds. That is on a standard 1 TB drive!
Mind you it is a 6 core monster! :bath