Author Topic: Taskhost .. what is it and do I need it?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Rupert

Taskhost .. what is it and do I need it?
« on: November 17, 2014, 05:14:18 PM »
Every so often a little window appears at the bottom right of my screen which seems to emanate from 'taskhost.exe'

It says 'High CPU Usage' and further down it says 'Host Process for Windows Tasks'.  When I open it further one of the bits of information, in red, says 'CPU: 100% of at least one CPU'

I don't know what any of this means or if I need to take some action to solve anything amiss.  My PC is Windows 8.1 x64 bit

Can anybody advise, please?

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Taskhost .. what is it and do I need it?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 11:41:17 PM »
I don't think this is anything to worry about, "TaskHost" is just doing it's job of informing you about the state of your processors.
If you are running any program that is cpu intensive, it is going to top out one of your cpu cores, this is normal and no need to panic.
If this 100% cpu problem happens on every program you use, then there is something wrong? Possibly a virus, or a program that is running in the background causing the max out!
If the later is your problem, then you need to find the (probably startup program) that is causing the overload, and stop it from running or remove it!
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline Rupert

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:39:46 AM »
Thanks Willabong.

The taskhost.exe appears only rarely and, as far as I can remember, not when I'm doing anything in particular and certainly not when I've got numerous windows open and I'm running Photoshop all at the same time!

If it says 100% of CPU is being used, is that good?  Presumably it's like the capacity rating of a battery, where the nearer to 100% that things stand, the better they are?

I have Norton IS running 24/7 and I run the freebie version of Malwarebytes daily and all appears to be well.  If you peruse my current PC specs below, would you expect there to be an issue with my start-up programme?...

Processor: Intel? Core? i7-4790 Processor (3.6 GHz, 8 MB cache)
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
Graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 270 (2 GB GDDR5)
Storage: 3 TB HDD, 7200 rpm
Motherboard: Intel Z87

Offline Willabong

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 09:25:07 PM »
No, I would not expect a CPU core to max out, even if you run multiple programs?

I would start by doing a full virus scan and remove any threats you find, then download this program:   http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

Depending on how the download is packaged (zip or .exe) unzip the program to a folder on your desktop, or put the .exe file in a folder on your desktop and name the folder "HiJack This".

Run the program and click on "do a system scan and save a logfile".

When it has finished running, open the log file which should have saved in the same folder as the program. Then copy the whole text file and paste it here, so that I can check it for trojans and other nasties.

When I have done that, I will tell you what to do next!

Offline Rupert

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 02:47:43 PM »
Thanks William.  I ran a full system scan with both Norton and Malwarebytes .. all clear. 

I've tried to send you a couple of attachments, one is the log file generated by HiJackThis and the other is a screen print of the first two windows that came up on my screen when I activated the command you asked me to (in case it's relevant to your analysis). 

This forum webpage kept coming up with 'There's an error!' and 'Unable to locate file upload path', or similar wording.  No amount of pressing the 'Clear attachment' key would remove the attachment it didn't like!

It also told me that only certain file extensions were permitted, but the File Log is already a text file (presumably .txt  -  it doesn't sit as that in my folder, but it opens as what looks very like a text file) and I converted the .docx file to a .doc file, so why won't they upload?

Offline Willabong

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 02:18:36 PM »
That is a problem that Nick will have to fix!
Just send me the text files via e-mail:

Offline Rupert

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 07:09:47 PM »
Thanks Willabong .. safe to delete your address now!