Author Topic: HP Officejet 6100 not printing straight ... help!  (Read 955 times)

Offline Rupert

HP Officejet 6100 not printing straight ... help!
« on: November 04, 2014, 02:50:34 PM »
I'm looking for some help with my Officejet 6100 printer which cannot seem to print stuff straight on the page, something it's only done since I've had my new PC with Windows 8.1 x64 bit.

I've un-installed and re-installed the driver from the website (Windows 8.1 x64 bit is the only driver available), I've run diagnostic tests, printer head alignment tests and basically everything the troubleshooting pages suggest. I've cleaned the rollers, re-loaded standard 80gsm A4 paper, ensuring the guides are pressed snugly against the paper pile.

I phoned HP and asked to speak to somebody in tech support, but as my printer is 2 years old and out of warranty they wanted to charge me a fee for just talking to someone over the phone. They wouldn't even give me an email address that I could use to send them a PDF of scans I've made, showing a blank excel sheet with gridlines clearly illustrating the nature of the problem.

In the past I've known HP to offer an alternative driver to the one that came out of the box, which sorted a different problem I had with a previous printer 5 or 6 years ago. Unfortunately it seems that the one and only driver applicable to my current printer is Windows 8.1 x64 bit.

Can anybody offer any help or advice, please?

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: HP Officejet 6100 not printing straight ... help!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 06:51:32 PM »
You don't give much information on the actual problem?
I take it that you mean the print does not run in a straight horizontal line across the paper, but slopes downward.

Have you used the printer successfully with this computer at all?

The only experience I have seen of this sort of thing happening, is when the print head has moved out of line, but that only tilted the text, but the text still printed horizontal lines?

Here is one sensible answer to your problem that I found on the Net:

"I had the same problem and have found a fix. In my case the paper feeder arms must be misaligned. I noticed that the paper in the tray wasn't sitting straight when the arms were tight in against the paper. My fix is put the paper in the tray, make sure the top of the paper is parallel with the edge of the feeder tray and do not push in the feeder arms. Prints perfectly now. Ridiculous that have to do this but at least I'm happy now".
----------------
The paper guides are the things that control the paper flow into the printer. If they are out of true, the paper will feed into the printer at an angle, and this can cause the problems you are experiencing!

William.
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline Rupert

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 05:24:45 PM »
Issue resolved!

There's a small rear cover on the printer that can be removed to access the rollers and remove media in the event of a jam.  This cover wasn't properly located in the closed position, which was causing the second set of rollers to exert uneven pressure on the paper as it passed through the printing cycle.  And I thought I'd checked everything so carefully!

Thanks for responding, Willabong .. as usual!

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 09:41:29 AM »
Glad you fixed it! :smiley
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com