Author Topic: Drivers for an old PC  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Purgatory

Drivers for an old PC
« on: September 09, 2014, 03:32:06 PM »
I have installed Windows XP to on an old e machine 220. All is well with the exception of missing motherboard drivers - essentially the audio and graphics driver(s).

Try as I might, there is no easy way to get these from the net - many sites are trying to install their own dubious rubbish, ( to which the AV is making howls of protest) some are needing a degree in rocket science to get to a proper position of actual download.

I wonder if any forum users still use one of these machines. If so would they be prepared to sell me the disk, OR, loan me a disk (this will attract a donation to charity). Alternatively, is there a 'clean' site from which I might get these drivers.
Look forward to hearing from you
Thanks
Colin
Purgatory
Intel Dualcore - Win 7 32 bit

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Drivers for an old PC
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 07:39:41 PM »
Do you have the driver details?  You can find these on the Motherboard usually. Alternatively go to the site of the manufacturer of the motherboard, they sometimes have a legacy section with older mobo drivers?
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline Purgatory

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 11:37:34 PM »
I installed belarc to get motherboard details etc - this told me the board Trigen Computer Inc v1.02.
The only other info I have is that the chipset drivers were (I believe) Intel 82801DB series.

In practice, this has not given me much exploring success so far, I will keep looking.  All sites so far proporting to having these drivers are infested with add-ons and potential nasties etc
Purgatory

Offline Willabong

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 04:32:53 PM »
Your Intel drivers should be on these pages somewhere?   To find them you may need more information?

Drivers

Offline Purgatory

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 05:36:24 PM »
Thanks Willabong
now time today - but will take a good look at this tomorrow
Many many thanks
Colin
Purgatory

Offline Purgatory

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 07:20:04 PM »
Hi again Willabong
pleased to report that thanks to your link - I was able to at last get the correct graphics driver - this has been installed and all is well.

I have now just one more driver (for 'Multi Audio Controller') to identify, and the job will be complete.
Many thanks again for the link to Driver Guide

Cheers
Colin
Purgatory

Offline Willabong

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 09:36:07 AM »
In order to find the Audio drivers, you would need the driver information found either on your MoBo (if you have integrated sound), or on your sound card?

Offline Purgatory

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 05:45:23 PM »
Tried all the tricks in the book - every code/number combination - type - mobo details etc - all the various sites to no avail! Shifted through driver guides extensive offering collating all numbers etc. Contact with the present emachines people, no joy.
In the end I guessed at realtec AC 97 for win XP (keep in mind that I had tried this before from a certain site) and this time all went straight in with no problem.
Success at last :smiley :smiley
Purgatory

Offline Willabong

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 12:33:04 AM »
Good for you!  Glad you got it sorted! :smiley