Author Topic: Cannot enter Bios - Windows 7  (Read 736 times)

Offline Purgatory

Cannot enter Bios - Windows 7
« on: July 15, 2014, 01:47:42 AM »
I am encountering a problem with my wife's PC.
I need to get into the bios to make a few tweaks etc. This I cannot do.

No matter how I actuate the delete button (fast / slow / repeatedly / single push etc) I cannot get into the bios. At best I end up with a black page/with white writing that suggests I have reached the boot management  page and should press F8
All ideas appreciated.
When I have some time - all I can think of doing is running the motherboard software installation again - And/Or removing the bios battery for a short period, and then trying again, and going to the best/optimum choice for set-up.
Keyboard is a USB one. Please note that I have in the past gone into the bios without any problems.
Purgatory
Intel Dualcore - Win 7 32 bit

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Cannot enter Bios - Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 09:31:28 AM »
One possibility is this:

If it s a name brand board, you can look on the board for the manufacture and the model number, then go online and get the manual. Otherwise, if all else fails, or if it is a HP/DELL/etc, check the motherboard and look for a jumper. It usually has the word CMOS next to it. Changing the jumper to the other pins for a minute, then changing it back, should reset the bios so it will display the default boot screen which will tell you what key to press to get into the bios. Usually if a machine doesn't display anything and immediately boots Windows, then the options to display the boot messages is turned off. On newer Intel boards, setting the features for quick boot requires resetting the jumper in order to get the bios key to register.

Alternatively try removing the CMOS battery for 30 seconds, this should reset the BIOS and display a message telling you which button on your keyboard is used to enter the BIOS?

PS: The BIOS is not loaded at start up, but is stored in the motherboard memory (this is why you have a battery to keep your user settings), and a computer cannot start without one, also the BIOS is not part of Windows 7 or any other OS, it is a universal motherboard setting!
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline Purgatory

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 03:40:24 PM »
Sorry -
have just found that I never gave the final chapter/outcome on this issue. :-[

Quite simply, it was the keyboard!  Although it seems that the delete button was working OK (for example deleting text etc) it did not get me into the bios.
A quick temporary swap to a PS2 keyboard did the trick -  and a new USB k/board completed the task.

Trying the displaced k/board on other PC's confirmed the fault.
Purgatory
Intel Dualcore - Win 7 32 bit

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 08:39:08 PM »
Glad you found the fault! Another way to check if the delete key is working is to write some text to a notepad, then try and delete it ...... But who would even think of the keyboard being faulty, although it should be one of the first things we check? :smiley
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com