Author Topic: Windows 7 wake up problems! - SOLVED  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Purgatory

Windows 7 wake up problems! - SOLVED
« on: July 04, 2014, 08:58:52 AM »
Hi everyone
despite windows 7 now being well established - with the bugs mostly sorted (?) I have 2 PC's that occasionally refuse to wake up after a long period of sleep.
Does anyone know of a 'cure' for this annoyance?
Thanks in advance
Purgatory
Intel Dualcore - Win 7 32 bit

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Windows 7 wake up problems!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 08:29:35 AM »
The Sleep and Hibernate feature on PC's is very overrated, What really happens is the computer goes into a power down faze where the Operating System is switched to a minimal safe type mode, but it is still running, your hard drive is also powered down along with other devices, but all are actually still running in this minimal mode.  The actual savings in power consumption while in Sleep/Hibernate mode is also minimal.
I never use either! All I ever do is switch my monitors off, as this is where most of the power is saved!

However, there are things you can try to get around this problem, the information below was taken from the Internet:

*** While there are many things that can be an issue, and despite many patches Windows power management is still buggy, one that seems to help is to open your power option control panel, click "change plan settings" on the plan that you have selected, then click "change advanced power settings." Under PCI Express, Link State Power Management -- turn that setting off.

If you have a USB keyboard and mouse, it also may help to not let those device controllers power down:

Open the device manager, open the Universal Serial Bus Controllers, and for the USB Root Hub right click and select properties -- then the Power Management tab. Uncheck the box "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." ***

William.
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline Purgatory

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 09:06:04 AM »
Thanks Willabong
have made the alterations and will see how it goes.
Thanks again :smiley
Purgatory

Offline Willabong

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 04:28:24 PM »
I hope it works for you? :smiley

Offline Purgatory

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:20:30 AM »
Just realised that I never came back on this one!

In the end the answer was quite simple - going into the advanced power settings - I set the sleep 'allow hybrid' to OFF. Problem Solved instantly on both machines :smiley
Purgatory

Offline Willabong

Re: Windows 7 wake up problems! - SOLVED
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 10:00:18 AM »
You should have mentioned that you had Hybrid drives?  Still, glad you found the problem! ;)

Offline Purgatory

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 05:31:21 PM »
Hi Willabong
reason this was not mentioned is simple - I don't have hybrid drives!
Nevertheless this option setting was present under the sleep heading in advanced power settings. I cant claim to be the 'finder' of this 'cure' - it is thanks to another entry/contribution found as I searched the net for this problem.
Cheers for now.

FORGET THE ABOVE :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Just found out that my wife was (at the time of the problem) WAS using a buffalo external hard drive for several days :-[ :-[ which is of course a hybrid drive! Have just learned of this!!!!
Sorry guys & Willabong
Purgatory

Offline Willabong

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 10:51:18 PM »
No problem! Just glad you fixed it!  :thumbs