Author Topic: Should I reinstall (SOLVED)  (Read 687 times)

Offline Purgatory

Should I reinstall (SOLVED)
« on: June 19, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
Acquired new PC for my wife.
I installed 32 bit win 7 home premium. Having now put in all her previous programs and other odds and ends - the machine performs well. No bsods or funny happenings etc.

However I have great concerns on what it WILL NOT DO.
 I cannot -
run sfc /scannow
run chkdsk
or get the windows 'back up' to work. This last one is interesting in that it lets me set-up all the necessary parameters - when I press go (or when the set schedule time occurs) my external USB activity light works, and windows graph indicates that all is taking place as it should.
When finished - if I go to the correct folder on my USB drive, there are no contents. It did ( I think) work at an early stage, but now it is non functioning!

Your opinions on if all three problems have a common source/reason would be appreciated. Should I consider a repair installation?
Cheers

Purgatory
Intel Dualcore - Win 7 32 bit

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Should I reinstall
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 10:15:54 PM »
sfc /scannow runs a little differently in Windows 7 and 8, please see the attached link to find out how to use it:

sfc /scannow

chkdsk is done the same way in Windows 7 as it was in earlier versions of Windows:
Open the "Computer" window
Right-click on the drive in question
Select the "Tools" tab
In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

I have no idea why Windows backup does not work on your computer, I don't use that form of backup myself, but I checked it out on my PC and all seems to be working as advertised ..... One thing to make sure of when performing a backup, double check where you are saving the files to, as it is very easy to save them to the wrong drive/folder!
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline Purgatory

Re: Should I reinstall (SOLVED)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 04:33:03 PM »
In the end the answer was so simple - it was embarrassing.
Quite simply on my own windows 7 PC - if I typed in the required command, I simply clicked on the title at the top of the small page/window and off we went. This I accepted to be 'normal' behaviour.

What I found out was to get things going, there was now a need to right click the title and click on run as administrator to actuate the command. I then twigged that the problem arose because the new PC was at its default setting for 'user account control settings!' With adjustment made All is now working as it should ;D.

Even the backup system is now working as it should ;D ;D ;D
You learn something every day
Thanks for your thoughts

Purgatory
Intel Dualcore - Win 7 32 bit

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Should I reinstall (SOLVED)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »
I'm glad you got things working again! :clap
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com