Author Topic: Buying new computer .. can I transfer Windows Mail?  (Read 711 times)

Offline Rupert

Buying new computer .. can I transfer Windows Mail?
« on: June 15, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »
I've used Windows Mail with my Windows Office 2007 package for five years.  I like the format as it very closely resembles Outlook Express, which I used at work until I retired.

I'm about to buy a new computer which will come with Windows 8.1 installed already and I shall also include the latest MS Office 2013 pack.  I don't know what email programme is included, but I've heard that it's very difficult if not impossible to transfer one email package to another computer where a different email package is installed.

Since I have five years worth of folders and messages stored in my current Windows Mail system I am naturally anxious that I can transfer everything 'as is' without losing anything.

Has anybody got any hints or tips as to how I can prepare for the change of PCs, please?

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Buying new computer .. can I transfer Windows Mail?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 06:07:01 PM »
I have a Windows 8.1 laptop, and I have a Microsoft msn account, two Gmail accounts and a Sky Yahoo account setup on it.
Windows Live is just a virtual e-mail interface that allows you to run all your e-mail clients through one program. There is no reason why you should not be able to install Windows live mail on Windows 8.1, and be able to import all your e-mail clients into it.
When you have the new Windows Live setup on your new PC with all the e-mail clients in place, you should be able to either sync to your old PC and transfer the files you need over to the new PC, or copy them to a USB stick and transfer them that way!

PS:  The chances are that your new office suite will come with the latest version of Windows Live Mail (or Outlook) so things should be relatively straight forward!
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline Rupert

Re: Buying new computer .. can I transfer Windows Mail?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 11:53:02 AM »
Thanks Willabong .. I just hope you're right!  The computer people at Currys PC World should be able to advise me accordingly if I show them your reply.

Thanks again.