Author Topic: Cannot open .xls files  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Purgatory

Cannot open .xls files
« on: June 14, 2014, 11:28:54 PM »
Hi Guys
I have 2 PC's on windows 7 Home premium - and run office 2007 enterprise on each.
Have recently received a mail with an .xls attachment - but cannot open this on either machine.
Have checked all the usual things- carried out 'repairs' to office 2007, and run excel diagnostics - all reported as ok.

Using the shortcut icon to excel results in instant opening of the program - however if I double click on the file itself - there is a very quick flick of a new window trying to appear -  that instantly disappears.
Could do with some help on this one - many thanks in advance
Purgatory
Intel Dualcore - Win 7 32 bit

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Cannot open .xls files
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 12:57:43 AM »
The only thing I can suggest is loading either Open Office or Libre Office or both, and trying to open the file from there!
It could be that the xls file is corrupt?  If neither of the above programs can open it, then that is the problem.
If you find you can open it in one of the above programs, then re-save the xls file in the program that opens it, and try opening it again in Microsoft Office!
You can uninstall both programs afterwards!
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline Purgatory

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 07:53:08 PM »
Thanks Willabong
I can now add a little to the original post as follows -
Firstly the original .xls file was clean - and I did request a friend to send me something (.xls) as an attachment. This he did using (would you believe) excel 2007.

I have since remembered that I was able to open .xls files (using WinXP + office 97) on my previous PC. I looked out my earlier office disk and installed excel 97. As soon as this was done, there was no problem in opening the two files that I had received. So problem partly solved, BUT there has to be an answer to this riddle.
Many thanks for your thoughts and comments - much appreciated.
Purgatory
Purgatory
Intel Dualcore - Win 7 32 bit

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 11:07:12 PM »
Did you install Office 2007 using compatibility mode set to Windows XP ?
It could be that the program never installed correctly if you installed to native Windows 7. I have had a couple of programs that fail to work properly in W7, but they work correctly when compatibility mode for XP is used!
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com