Author Topic: Laptop switching off  (Read 1162 times)

Offline william

• WILLIAM
Laptop switching off
« on: March 11, 2014, 02:49:44 PM »
My daughter has a Toshiba Satellite A200-27R laptop which will switch off without any warning even though the power is still on.Could this be a sign that the hard drive is headed for the scrap yard or could it be something else?.

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Laptop switching off
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 10:48:49 AM »
It's probably not your hard drive, I would say it is more likely to be the system fan that is failing, and the laptop is over heating!
Unless you are an expert, don't try replacing it yourself!
If the fan has gone completely, when it is running try placing your hand near the air intake slots....If the fan is not working you should not feel any air coming out of these slots. If you do feel air blowing out of the slots, it could still be the fan failing and only working intermittently.
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:31:21 AM »
When I boot up in safe mode it stays on until I switch off.Have run a fault test and everything checks out o.k.In the results it did say that unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem,if so how do I clean it up?.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 07:08:38 PM »
Have you made any changes?  Without knowing what changes been made (if any?), it is impossible to correct it.
But if this problem with shutting down started recently, you could do a system restore to a time before the laptop started shutting down.
Running in safe mode uses minimum drivers and minimum power, so less chance of over heating, but it did throw another possibility into the mix, it could be your power supply that is failing.
Try a system restore first, if it stops the shutdown problem, then OK! If it still shuts down, then you at least will have ruled out system changes causing the problem.

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 11:19:06 AM »
It has now started to shut down in safe mode and also shuts down when booting up before it has a chance to warm up so you are probably right when you suggested a power line failure.Is there any way to check the power supply inside the computer as I am capable of stripping it down to the circuit boards.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 11:12:54 AM »
It is different for every laptop manufacturer, so almost impossible to help you there without owning the same make and model of laptop as you, but to answer your question, no! There is no reliable way I know of to test the power supply while it is inside the laptop, but you could try google.
You will also need to find out if you can source the part you need!
Did you check to see if the system fan is working? That would be the first thing (and cheapest) to check! System fans can fail gradually, and when it fails completely, your laptop can overheat while booting up!

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 02:52:53 PM »
Thank you for your efforts to assist me but in view of the age of my daughters laptop I will advise her to bin it and purchase a new cheap one as she only uses it for games and crosswords.Many thanks.