Author Topic: Internet Connections  (Read 2613 times)

Offline william

• WILLIAM
Internet Connections
« on: July 24, 2013, 06:15:18 PM »
What is the best way to connect to the internet,by a proxy server or a numbered port?.Why I ask this is because when I booted up this morning on my new Toshiba Satellite Pro C870-1E2 laptop I received the message "Proxy Server Not Responding"and had to wait a considerable time before access to the internet was allowed yet when I booted my old Toshiba laptop,which connects to the internet via a numbered port,connection was immediate.Whar are the pro's and con's of the different methods?.

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
Re: Internet Connections
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 09:01:14 AM »
Sorry for late reply, William. If you didn't already know, a proxy server has many uses - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server for a list. As to the pros and cons of using them, the only use I could personally find for a proxy server would be to fake my own country of origin for accessing content that for one reason or another would be blocked to UK users. Thing is, though, you can achieve this without having a proxy server set up on your PC.

My personal recommendation would be to drop the proxy server settings and connect normally through the internet.
Freelance writer

Offline william

• WILLIAM
Re: Internet Connections
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 06:29:54 AM »
I did as you advised and went to Internet Options>Connections>unticked the box that says use a proxy server>clicked O.K.Next day I am unable to connect to the internet and receive the message "Proxy server not responding".I then return to the Lan settings and find a tick has returned to the "Use a proxy server"box.How do I prevent this cycle reoccurring