Author Topic: Indicator lights  (Read 1641 times)

Offline william

• WILLIAM
Indicator lights
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »
On my Samsung NP350E7C-SO2UK the hard drive indicator light comes on when I press the power button but then goes off and stays off where before it stayed on all the time the computer was working.The indicator light for wireless lan now refuses to come on also and needless to say the computer is not working.All that happens when I switch on is that the screen lights up but there is no access to the system and programs.The only thing that works is I can enter into Bios and that's my lot.Could anyone please tell me what the above symptoms indicate,something dreadful I suppose.

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Indicator lights
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 11:59:13 AM »
If the BIOS is accessable then the Mobo is probably OK!
I would immediately suspect the power supply as having failed, But it could be your hard drive has failed?
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 01:20:47 PM »
The answer I feared is that the hard disk drive has failed and that happened due to me contacting Samsung help line.This computer was bought on the 7th of June this year with Windows 8 installed,which I considered an abomination,so I took it to PC World and had my Windows 7 Home Premium installed by them and everything was working fine.On Saturday 22nd I e-mailed Samsung help line to ask now that I had downgraded to Windows 7 would I still be able to access Samsungs Recovery Solution 5.In the third paragraph of their reply I was advised to tap F4 key while booting up and that would show as to whether I could access this program.Stupid me followed this advice to the letter and that is when I lost the computer.Now when I press the power button the screen lights up but is blank and the two indicator lights I mentioned stay out.The only function available is that I am able to boot into Bios only.Tried booting from the installation disk with boot priority to disk but all to no avail.I do realise that by downgrading to Windows 7 I have revoked my guarantee and can make no claim there but if Samsung refuse to accept responsibility for giving information which led to this mishap then I will have no alternative to consult our solicitor as to the possibility of taking legal action for damages.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 09:28:32 AM »
I wish you luck!  Let us know what happens please!

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 03:43:14 PM »
My fear that the hard drive was damaged has turned out to be groundless thank heavens.This problem of being unable to boot up was caused by no other than Samsung themselves due to them issuing an update for the Bios system for these machines,but in their wisdom they overlooked the fact that it did not work correctly for those who had downgraded to Windows 7 so the only way such as myself and others like me who have downgraded is to boot up by going into Bios and using boot override.Great technology eh?.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 12:16:23 PM »
If that is a permanent problem, and it is caused by Samsung, then you are entitled to take it back for exchange or repair, or even to demand a refund!

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 06:22:30 PM »
This problem was due to Samsung updating the bios for those running Windows 8 which had an adverse effect on Windows 7 users and when Samsung was made aware of this problem I was met with obfuscation at my many attempts to obtain clarification to resolve the fault.This sorry saga was going to end with me having to have this machine repaired at my expense but as a result of intervention by Amazon after they were made aware of the situation they have asked me to return the machine,at no cost to myself,and are giving me a full refund.I consider this to be an action of great generosity and as such would have no hesitation in recommending anyone to shop at Amazon.Needless to say I will be purchasing my replacement laptop at Amazon,but it will not be a Samsung.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 11:28:15 AM »
Glad you got it sorted! :smiley

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 09:09:51 AM »
For future reference - and again, many apologies for coming so late to this thread - this sounds like an issue with Windows 8 rather than Samsung per se. To see what has happened to the BIOS in Windows 8, please read this piece which I commissioned for the Advent website: http://www.adventcomputers.co.uk/product-support/faq-windows-8-uefi-and-graphics-cards-updated.

Long story short, I suspect the BIOS update set the defaults to be "Windows 8-friendly" at the expense of older OSes. These new defaults mean you have to tweak the BIOS to remove the "Windows 8 logo requirement" settings (secure boot on being the key one) in order to use non-compliant OSes. It's already provoked controversy among Linux users as Microsoft, the prime mover behind this, could be seen as trying to lock out non-MS OSes from PC hardware (the irony being, the settings also lock out older versions of Windows too).

If it's any comfort, I didn't know any of this before commissioning that piece.
Freelance writer