Author Topic: Computer Fault  (Read 3445 times)

Offline william

• WILLIAM
Computer Fault
« on: April 17, 2013, 07:11:06 AM »
Recently bought a Samsung NP700G7C-S01UK laptop computer and within the last few weeks the machine has frozen three times with the screen turning a shimmering pink and non of the controls working.Switch off and when switched back on everything works o.k.The case at the rear of the screen also gets very hot to the touch.As it was still within the 28 day period from purchase I have returned it to the retailer for exchange but they have now had it for two days testing it and my fears are as anybody knows who has worked in electronics intermittent faults are extremely difficult to find and if they are unable to reproduce  the fault will refuse to exchange this machine.The first time this fault occurred I rang the Samsung technical help line 0845-7267864 and one of their agents suggested he talked me through downloading a fresh Bios system and when that was completed he said there would be no more problems,but unfortunately he was wrong as the fault returned twice last Sunday 14th April.Wondered if anybody else has had this problem and would appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Computer Fault
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »
I can tell you what I don't think is the problem! It's not heat related, if it were, the symptoms you describe would make the laptop catch fire (all laptops get hot, especially near the back on the bottom).

A virus is very possible, or a hardware fault (MoBo/Bios/Faulty CPU/Graphics Card), my best guess would be your Graphics Card.....If your card is integrated into the MoBo, then provided you are still under guarantee demand a new laptop.
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 01:44:15 PM »
That is what I have done as advised by Samsung but Laptops direct .com have put it on test and as they can find no fault they are dragging their feet.Have again contacted Samsung and they have promised to send me an exchange number to give to Laptops direct so am now waiting for this number to come through.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 10:53:29 AM »
These companies are quick to sell their hardware, but are always reluctant to fulfill their responsibility to exchange faulty merchandise. Hope it is sorted for you soon! :smiley

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »
Still waiting for Samsung to forward the magic number for me to give to Laptopdirect.Surprised at what you said about heat of the case at the rear of the screen of the Samsung as you can hardly feel any heat at all behind my old Toshiba.Understand the new machine is far more powerful and expect some increase in heat output but the Samsung rear case was so hot it was unwise to hold your hand there too long.What really miffs me off is that all the arranging for this exchange number and contact with Samsung has been left to me,leaving me  with a hefty phone bill and consuming countless hours of time.When I worked in the service dept. of a world wide engineering company we would have soon lost customers by the score if we had treated them the same way.Progress!!!.

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 06:41:14 PM »
Att.Willabong
Want to let you know that Samsung came through with the exchange number but when I passed this on to LaptopDirect they have advised they are unable to obtain the same model and as the alternatives offered were unsuitable they have done the decent thing and offered a full refund which I have accepted.Would also add that I have ordered a replacement computer from Amazon and hope to have it up and running by the middle of next week.Thank you for your help,much appreciated.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:06:26 AM »
Good result in the end! 
When I said all laptops get hot in the areas mentioned, I was not talking about dangerous heat that can burn, but most laptops have the hard drive near the rear of the case, and that component is usually the hottest.
The heat you are describing, is not normal, but the laptop would not display unusual color casts on the screen if it was over heating to that extent, it would just shut down!

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 09:41:20 AM »
Having got rid of the Samsung I have now bought a Asus Mdl. G75VW which is a gaming machine but has all the specs I was looking for and is a great machine,up to the moment and hope it stays that way.The only snag is that it came with Windows 8 installed and I know a great many people may be raving about it but in my humble opinion it can't hold a candle to Windows 7 which is far superior and faster to work with.As this machine has D,E and F drives with nothing on I have-mailed Asus to ask if it is possible to load my Windows 7 Home Premium Disk onto one of these drives and if so how to do it as I have not got a clue.Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping the answer is in the positive as this abomination of Microsoft which may be o.k. for the young technocrats but not for us oldie,s.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 10:47:13 AM »
It is possible to do as you ask as long as you have a full version of W7 on disk, but it is not a subject you can discuss in a few words on a forum.
Installing W7 involves removing W8, and this will also remove or disable all your software, and remove the drivers for your graphics/sound/mobo, So you will need to have these drivers on a CD or some other safe place.
When installing W7, you should be given the option to format (and remove) your partitions, leaving you with one large "C" drive. I would definitely go for that option, as modern hardware can handle large drives with no problem, so the need for separate partitions is zero.

If you have the W7 full version disk, the drivers, and are willing to install all your software again, then look on the Web for tutorials on how to install W7 on a laptop.....It is not as difficult as it sounds!

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 11:23:54 AM »
Yes I do have the full version disc but am unsure how to remove Windows 8 and not bothered about keeping it.Would it be done by going in to command prompt and erasing contents of drive C?.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 08:05:02 PM »
Put your W7 disk in the drive at boot up...You may have to go into the BIOS and change the first boot device to the DVD Rom drive first.
Your W7 setup should ask you if you want to format the hard drive, this will remove W8. Then you will be able to follow the setup instructions and install W7.
But don't forget, you will need the drivers for graphics/sound/mobo as mentioned above, before you start.

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 03:51:05 PM »
Tried what you suggested but I must have done something wrong because it got so far and then went belly up.Had to do a system restore to get things working again.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 04:30:53 PM »
Without being able to see your laptop and what you are doing, there really isn't much I can do to help.
Again I say, look on the Web for a tutorial on how to remove W8 and install W7. :(

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 05:31:50 AM »
Went to the Windows 8 forum and when I saw what is involved to either dual boot or replace W8 with W7 it nearly frightened me to death so I have given up in despair,far too complex for me with my limited expertise.Will have to soldier on with W8 and hope it grows on me.

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 10:56:44 AM »
Sorry for the late contribution. No need to go back to Windows 7, William - you just need to filter out the bits you don't want. I'd recommend Classic Shell for that - restores the Start menu and lets you bypass the Start screen and disable the hotspots so you need never interact with that part of Windows unless you need to. Might find the following article I wrote for CNET last year useful: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/software-and-web-apps/how-to-make-windows-8-look-like-windows-7-50009546/
Freelance writer