Author Topic: Epson SX205: Suspected Printerhead Blockage - Solved  (Read 6749 times)

Offline roadster

Epson SX205: Suspected Printerhead Blockage - Solved
« on: February 09, 2013, 12:12:22 PM »
The black ink in my All In One Epson SX205 printer is failing to print. The yellow, cyan & magenta are however working perfectly. I suspect the Printerhead for the black ink cartridges are blocked.

I do not use genuine epson cartridges, but do indeed use third party compatible ink cartridges. There is no point telephoning epson for support as I do not use their own branded cartridges.

Someone told me it is likely that the printerhead is blocked, because third party compatibles generally offer lower quality inks than branded, and it is likely the printerhead has dried up.

Is there a way to unblock the printerhead or indeed take the printer to eg PC World for unblocking (if the fee to unblock was of course not too great). The printer is i'm sure out of warranty as it is over 2 years old.

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: Epson SX205: Suspected Printerhead Blockage
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 01:28:19 PM »
Have you tried new black cartridges, to see if they work?

If the actual delivery nozzles are blocked (the spray nozzles on the Epson), then there is no reliable way to fix these, and PC World will not even try*, they will just tell you to buy a new printer!

*Even if some crook decided to take your money, I doubt he would be able to fix it, and even if by some miracle he did get it to work again, I think the result would be well below what you need or expect, and he would charge you more than the printer is worth.....You would be better off bitting the bullet and getting yourself a new all in one printer.
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline roadster

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 02:41:44 PM »
Yes I have tried nozzle cleaning and installing new black ink cartridges, no black ink is being produced. The reason I switched to compatible ink cartridges in the first place is that originals inks cost about the same amount as the printer.
I was thinking maybe if I took it to PC World and they charged say ?10 it would be worth it.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 06:12:35 PM »
You can try, but don't hold your breath.....I don't know of any retail store that repairs printers?

And if it is the printhead that has died, and it very much sounds like it is, then it will be cheaper to buy new!

Please do not blame the compatible cartridges for causing this, I have used them for years with no problem, other than an occasional cartridge failing......They have never damaged any printer that I know of, but it is in the interest of the printer manufacturer to tell you that these cartridges can cause damage (they can't), because they make most of their profits from their hugely overpriced original cartridges.

Printers are designed to fail as soon after the end of the warranty as possible. Maybe this sounds cynical, but before you laugh this off as the ravings of a mad Welshman, I will give you an example:

All Epson home printers, have a built in page number recorder, and when the printer reaches that number of pages printed, even if the printer is working perfectly, the printer will stop working and will throw up a message on your computer saying that the printer needs servicing. You cannot ignore this message because the printer will not work!
Taking the printer to a service agent will not help, because they will tell you that the printer has reached the end of it's life, and cannot be repaired (In other words buy a new one!)
This happened to me, and I went to a friend of mine who used a special program to reset the counter, I then used the printer for another two years before it finally gave up the ghost. I also through my charity work, reset the counter on several other Epson printers, and they also continued to work normally for some considerable time.

Offline roadster

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:20:57 PM »
Thanks for explaining that, I think the printer is about 2 years old, I was hoping to get at least 3 years out of it. Before I decide what to do next is it possible to print in blue ink ie using the cyan ink only ?

Also in the event I do buy another printer in the near future which reasonably priced all in one(s) should I consider ?

Offline Willabong

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
I very much doubt that you will be able to print anything successfully without black, most printers will not even start printing without a working black cartridge.

As for which printer you should buy, it really depends on your finances, and your needs.

As a guide:  If you are going to stick with compatible inks, then you need to avoid HP/Lexmark and brother printers, and stick with either Epson or Cannon printers, because even compatible inks are still very expensive on the later.

Make sure that the Printer/combi you decide on, has all the features you need and will need in the future.

Don't be tempted to buy the cheapest model, as you get what you pay for.....Check the printer for flimsy parts and poor build quality.

If you intend to print top quality photo's, check the specifications of the printer, and look for a five ink cartridge rather than a three ink cartridge model, as they tend to give finer results.

The rest is up to you! :smiley

Offline roadster

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 05:08:52 PM »

Offline Willabong

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 05:18:36 PM »
You can give it a try.......I hope it works for you, but I have tried these types of kit in the past, and never managed to get the printer to print properly again, especially when printing photo's. :smiley
Please let us know how you get on?

Offline roadster

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 05:34:35 PM »
Just place my order now.....Will keep informed. The guy recommended me to buy a printer in the future with a continuous ink system, because you never need to change the cartridges so avoid the risk of introducing air or bad quality ink.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 10:47:52 PM »
Yes, this is a fairly new idea, I don't know how effective they are, but I have heard good reports about this system.
I may go the continuous ink route myself when my present printer dies! :smiley

Offline roadster

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 05:07:46 PM »
Yes it sounds like a good idea. My purchase was sent today, it should be with me tomorrow. If I don't get a chance to use it during the week, I'll definitely do it on Saturday. According to the company it shouldn't be a problem. We shall see.

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 10:13:14 AM »
One question to ask yourself is - should you need to replace the printer - if you need an inkjet. The answer's yes if you print lots of photos, but if you're just looking for a colour printer for documents and the like, then I'd think seriously about a low-end colour laser. I personally have owned two printers since going freelance in 2003 - both lasers. The original Epson EPL-5900 lasted until late 2011, and I've had a Samsung CLP-325W since. Cost of toners can look prohibitive, but you get more prints out of them, and compatible ones as per usual cost a whole lot less than the manufacturer's own.

Of course, if you're printing photos on your inkjet, disregard the above as lasers are - shall we say - sub-par when it comes to photo printing.
Freelance writer

Offline roadster

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 10:07:01 AM »
The product arrived yesterday, I shall try it over the weekend. Your recommendation sounds like a good one Nick, only one slight problem I don't think it has a scanner & do scan a few documents from time to time.
Unless I combined one of those laser printers with a Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner.

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
If you had money to burn, I think you can now get all-in-one colour laser printers, and probably for less than the cost of a ScanSnap and separate colour laser.

Can't vouch for how good it is, but the HP LaserJet Pro 100 color MFP M175A Laser All-in-one Printer costs ?186 from Pixmania, for example.
Freelance writer

Offline roadster

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 04:14:42 PM »
I have now conducted the operation, and it worked like a dream, the printhead has been flushed, and the black ink is now flowing. It took approximately 30 mins as well.

Printer functionality has been restored :)

Thanks for the recommendations regarding the laser printer options Nick, but i'm hoping my Epson SX205 will carry on for longer now, and its a good ?12.50 spent.

I wish I did have money to burn.