Author Topic: CMOS battery  (Read 2930 times)

Offline william

• WILLIAM
CMOS battery
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:37:44 PM »
Have a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300-1FK laptop and want to know what CMOS battery will be fitted in case I ever need to change it,can anyone tell me what it should be.Tried obtaining this information from Toshiba but they wanted to send me to an engineer.Also been looking for a repair manual but without success.
Regards

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: CMOS battery
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 01:26:57 AM »
Your laptop motherboard manual should give you this information in the specifications section.
If for some reason that is not possible, you would need to open your laptop to find out (not recommended).
Though you may never have to change it, as these batteries nowadays are made to last the projected life of the machine.
For example, I have a 12 year old PC that is in continuous use, and have never changed the cmos battery, in fact none of my 3 PC's, 2 laptops and 1 netbook have ever needed a cmos battery changed, or any other PC I have owned, and I provide IT services for a charity, and have never had to change a cmos battery for anyone ever!
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 10:30:36 AM »
Thank you Willabong for giving such a full and explicit explanation to my query which arose from reading in a computer magazine about a chap who had a computer only three years old and had changed his cmos battery and then run into multiple problems.
Have looked through the laptop manual but there was no mention of what battery is fitted and when I contacted Toshiba they refused to give me this information and tried to steer me to one of their service agents.
Regards

Offline Willabong

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »
In the unlikely event that you may need to change the battery, any good repair shop should do it for you for a reasonably small fee!

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 11:17:29 AM »
I envy your experience with CMOS batteries, Willabong! In my experience I've had to change a few in my time, but there's no rhyme or reason to it (just thinking, my laptop hasn't needed a change in the four and half years I've owned it, while others have required replacing after just two or three).

I did start searching for a service manual for your laptop that would have given you all the information you needed should you ever need to change the CMOS battery. Ironically I came across a previous post of mine with the requisite link, so trotted off in the hope of finding something. Sadly, things have changed since I posted the link - see http://www.tim.id.au/blog/2012/11/10/toshiba-laptop-service-manuals-and-the-sorry-state-of-copyright-law/. I won't bore you with my personal reaction to that; suffice to say I must remember that should I ever find myself tempted to purchase a Toshiba laptop in future.
Freelance writer

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 12:46:07 PM »
Strange as it may seem but I am one of those peculiar people who try to do their own repairs,whether it be car mechanics, buiding,plumbing,electrics,electronics or anything else that needs fixing.Must admit there has been the odd occasion when I had to seek professional help,but that was mainly due to not having the required equipment to complete the task.If I require knowledge I do not have then I seek it from experts such as yourself,and as many as possible so I can cross check for accuracy.
From what you have advised about the cmos battery it is highly unlikely that I will need to replace it as I am biding my time waiting for computers coming onto the market with full solid state drives to purchase.Swapped my hard drive for a Crucial M4 SSD last July and the difference has been similar to going from a battered old Ford to a modern racing car.
Regards

P.S.
Just read the article that Nick Peers has posted and sad to say he verifies the reluctance of Toshiba to provide information to help their customers.When I have tried over the years I would have been more successful obtaining blood from a stone.Will agree with Nick that on the whole Toshiba do make a good product but last July I purchased a Toshiba model which had just been released onto the market for which I paid ?1,149-95 and was delivered on the Friday and due to the faults I had to return it on the following Monday to the John Lewis store at Sheffield for a full refund.Would add that the service from John Lewis is second to none and have no hesitation in recommending them for excellent service.Did I receive an apology from Toshiba?,well I am still waiting.
This Toshiba Satellite Pro L300-1FK which is my first computer has served me well with no problems but due to Toshiba's abominable attitude to customers I will seek it's replacement with another brand.
Must take this opportunity to thank Nick Peers who has been a great help on many occasions,thank you Nick.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 02:04:36 PM »
One of my laptops is a Toshiba Equium (5 year old). No problems at all with it.
You are right Nick that one mans experience with PC's is not necessarily the norm. But I would say that you have probably had bad luck with your PC's, whereas I haven't!
There are no guarantees in this life! 

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 04:39:51 PM »
Had a reply from a supplier of spare parts for my model of laptop which informs me that to replace the cmos battery I would need to replace the main board,some design eh?.Another idea gone for a burton.
Regards

Offline Willabong

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:56:04 PM »
This is just one example of a CMOS battery that is made to last the life of the laptop.....But as Nick says, this does not rule out the possibility of the battery failing, and is a good reason not to buy a Toshiba in the future!