Author Topic: USB FLASH DRIVE CONFIGURATION  (Read 3333 times)

Offline william

• WILLIAM
USB FLASH DRIVE CONFIGURATION
« on: November 03, 2012, 10:18:05 AM »
Bought a Sandisk 64 GB USB Flash Drive but when I try to use it my computer downloaded a driver for it but would not recognise it.When I plug my old Verbatim 4 GB Flash Drive in that works fine so what am I doing wrong?.

Offline Willabong

• Childrens Illustrated Ebooks
Re: USB FLASH DRIVE CONFIGURATION
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 05:12:51 PM »
Two things you can try:

1. Format your 64 gig drive to fat 32 standard.

2. Test the flash drive on another computer to make sure it is working.
Childrens Illustrated Ebooks

http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 11:39:38 AM »
Have tested on another computer and it works o.k.Have been told by a mate that the letter designation needs changing but both of us don't know how.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
Why would you need to change the letter designation?
Your PC will choose the next available drive letter for your USB drive, so unless your PC has used up all 26 letters on other drives (very unlikely), then your drive should show up.

Do you get an error message when inserting the drive?

By the way, your computer does not download a driver for the USB drive, it already has them in it's database, so it just loads one and designates a drive letter.

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 12:48:17 PM »
Yep,you are right as usual.The letter designation has changed but I was too dozy to notice.The icon of a usb shows with a red x and the message:-Disconnected.It also shows the designation letter of the usb that is recognised.In effect it is saying there is no usb connected even though it is plugged in.When I click on computer it shows there and when I go into disk management it also is present.

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »
Thought I would also add that when I went into Windows Troubleshooting Service it said the device did not have a driver and could not find one.Yet when I opened up Device Manager it said the driver was up to date.So who the h**l is right.The letter designation for the usb that is o.k.is F,the awkward one is letter G so no conflict there

Offline Willabong

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 04:17:42 PM »
You say that the USB drive shows up with a red X..........Does this drive icon show up (1) when the USB stick is inserted into a USB slot? (2) when the USB stick is not inserted in the USB slot?

Offline Willabong

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 04:41:55 PM »
You can try this:

Restart your PC, then use a different USB port (One on your PC, not on a hub) and try your USB stick in it.

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 05:24:16 PM »
Red x only shows when usb is plugged into a port on the computer,also tried different ports and designation letters but all to no avail.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 12:49:33 AM »
All the indications are that your computer is at fault here, but I can't see how? . What version of Windows are you using?
64 gig usb sticks are relatively new, but there should not be any problem using the stick with any PC?

I would take the stick back to where you bought it, and get a replacement. It may be that your stick is faulty?
Sometimes, a corrupt header will cause a USB device to be intermittently read, some PC's will read it, others will not!
A format may solve it, but it could also make things worse!

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 11:20:42 AM »
Did take it back at the beginning and they tested it in store and said it was fine.My system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit running on a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300-1FK,usb port 2.Could it be anything to do with the way I am using it as I try to upload to it in "Backup and Restore" due to no window opening when I plug in.To reiterate it shows in computer o.k.but not in backup and restore.Another symptom that may help is when plugged in to backup and restore the letter designation for the other usb shows disconnected,which is correct because that is not the one plugged in,does that help with diagnosis?.

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 12:15:39 PM »
A thousnd and one apologies are owed to you from me Willabong.Just checked out that theory I proposed and if I just click on a file "send to Store an Go"it works fine without going into "Backup and Restore".My only excuse is that I am new to using USB Flash Drives and got a bit muddled.Would be handy if you could show me how to make a window open when I plug the drive in.

Offline Willabong

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 12:54:27 PM »
No problem!
You can make a USB Drive open a window in Windows XP, it would mean adding a script file (.bat) to your USB drive to make windows open the drive in a window.....Sadly, Windows Vista and Windows 7 users will have a problem, because Microsoft in their infinite wisdom, have decided that allowing a USB drive to open directly when inserted would be a security risk.
There is no way around this issue that I can find?

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 01:05:24 PM »
Many thanks for your patience,time and expertise.Will be closing down now for a couple of days.

Offline william

• WILLIAM
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 09:43:55 AM »
To Willabong,Microsoft must have been listening in because when I returned to my computer and a plethora of downloads I now find a AutoPlay box opens when I plug the USB in.Now able to download files to the USB and use it as a file backup but unable to choose seperate files and place it in a chosen place.Also have the option of NTFS or Fat 32,which one should I use?.