Author Topic: Media Player 11 problems - SOLVED  (Read 960 times)

Offline Purgatory

Media Player 11 problems - SOLVED
« on: October 01, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
I have a problem with media player 11. When I click on the shortcut icon, it trys to start but up comes a box that says an internal application error has occurred.
If I place a video disk in the dvd tray and close this - the auto play box appears as it should - giving me the usual choice between media player OR PowerCD.

If I select PowerCd - all goes as it should. :smiley
If I select mediaplayer 11, once again up comes the message 'an internal application error has occurred' :(

Have re registered the usual dll files as recommended - also used the MS fixit for mediaplayer. No luck!

I then thought I would delete mediaplayer 11 via the add/remove route (thus rolling me back to good old mediaplayer 9 (no problems with that in the past)
This was not to be, because halfway through the uninstall I get a BSOD/stop notice. The message sites a possible hardware problem - the only change recently was the fitment of a Sony Optiarc Dvd writer - AD7280S.
This must function OK as PowerCd works without a problem. This unit also reads and writes to disks in the normal way.
Attempted to install '11' over top of existing files - no change there either!
Will now try sfc/scannow - but any thoughts you have will be appreciated.
Cheers
Purgatory
Intel Dualcore - Win 7 32 bit

Offline Purgatory

Re: Media Player 11 problems - SOLVED !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 05:48:46 PM »
Pleased to say that the problem has now been corrected :smiley
In the end, it was no more that the fact that media player was not installed. This may sound strange, so let me explain -
Although I had attempted to uninstall MediaPlayer 11 without success (see earlier post.) I did take the precaution of re-installing this program to hopefully correct this failed uninstallation (hope that makes sense)
Therefore all the signs were that the program was present - this being confirmed in add/remove etc.
Having then thrown my toys out of the pram, I gave up for the time being.
Later I went to the MS update site, as I occasionally do, and behold the update offered was the complete installation of (yes, you've guessed it) Media Player 11. Did the required installation and all is now working without any problem :smiley :smiley.
This has been a strange one, and defies logic!!!!!
Purgatory
Intel Dualcore - Win 7 32 bit