Author Topic: Mac Mini  (Read 1387 times)

Offline roadster

Mac Mini
« on: December 08, 2010, 06:04:21 PM »
How do people rate the Mac mini ?

The new version is easy upgradable.

In terms of a desktop Mac is it sufficient and if so, is it really necessary to have an IMac or otherwise for home use?

In other words......

Mac Mini Vs IMac

If you had the choice which would you choose ?

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
Re: Mac Mini
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 10:23:59 AM »
Well, if I had the choice I'd obviously pick the more powerful beast, the iMac. However, from a practical point of view I'd choose the Mac Mini, although I do think £600 is a hefty price to pay for it. My existing Mac Mini - four years old now - cost £399, and one of the reasons I bought it was because it was a reasonable price, albeit not the quickest machine out there. However, I do laugh when I see magazines and companies describing it as suitable only for internet and email - utter rubbish. I've happily run Adobe InDesign on it for years, and while it's not the quickest, it's perfectly serviceable. Based on that experience, I'd expect the latest Mac Mini to easily cope with higher end tasks.

Having decided I definitely wouldn't upgrade, I now *might* if I can get a reasonable price for my old Mac Mini on Ebay in due course. But I'll wait for the 2nd revision of the current form factor as my fingers were burnt with a first-revision iMac G5 a number of years ago. If you look closely, a lot of early revision machines have major problems with them, so it's always sensible to wait for a second edition as far as Apple is concerned.
Freelance writer

Offline roadster

Re: Mac Mini
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »
The new Mac Mini is out now, easy upgradable too. You can do it yourself without paying a hefty price tag to Apple "Geniuses"