Author Topic: Software to monitor broadband reliability  (Read 3098 times)

Offline Clare

Software to monitor broadband reliability
« on: November 07, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »
I have been having trouble with the broadband signal in my house. The router is at the front of the house in the master socket but I struggle to get a signal at the back of the house. I don't want to move the router as it is plugged in to the master socket and there is a huge difference in speed if I move it to the back.
I have had problems with the signal dropping so have tried various methods with the latest being changing the channel to one which inSSider tells me is little used by neighbours. It seems that this has improved the reliability but I would like to have better proof than gut feeling.
Please can anyone tell me if there is some software which will log the reliability of my broadband showing when the connection drops and/or maybe keep a log of the speed? I have Googled but can only find software which monitors usage which I'm not bothered about as am on unlimited.
Thanks for any help.

Ooops, ironically the line appeared to have dropped and the connection failed so I re-posted only to find that it had worked first time. Sorry!

Offline PebbleUK

Re: Software to monitor broadband reliability
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 12:57:31 PM »
A quick google search found this:

http://www.beaglesoft.com/bbmonhome.htm

Offline Clare

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:06:02 AM »
Thanks for looking but I had also found this one via Google and have installed it. It's a bit of a strange one as it keeps reporting that the line has failed when I am still able to get online quite happily. I'm still looking!

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 09:40:34 AM »
Wireless is a complicated thing - you'll probably find you either have to make do with what you have, or consider investing in either a wireless repeater to boost the signal to the back of the house (you'd place this somewhere in the middle) or do what I did when I discovered my wireless signal wasn't going to reach my new study from the dining room: invest in powerline networking. This basically runs the network signal through your electrical wires and can be used in conjunction with a wireless network, so you get the best of both worlds: wi-fi through the rest of the house, and a rock-solid connection between the router and the back room. Dead simple to operate too: plug in first homeplug in lounge and connect to router via Ethernet cable, then plug the other in the back room and plug your computer (or a wired switch if you have more than one computer set up in that room) into that. Switch them on - hey presto, connection immediately made, no hassle.

You'll basically need two powerline/homeplug plugs: cheapest price is around £35 for 85Mbps, or £45 for 200Mbps. If you don't want to lose a plug, you can pay a bit more for plugs that have pass-through sockets. I bought a pair of Newlink 200Mbps NLHP-200PTDL plugs from http://www.faculty-x.net/compare%20homeplug%20200av.htm, which appear to be working well for me right now - quicker for file transfers too.
Freelance writer

Offline Clare

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 05:42:53 PM »
Hi Nick
Thanks for getting back to me on this one. Ironically I had bought Solwise Homeplugs just before posting the original post which I didn't mention as I was having trouble getting connected. After the third set it turned out that they needed the firmware upgrading to stop them dropping the connection when there is nothing happening. I bought one pass-through plug and one for the back lounge which I have plugged in to the Sony TV to get Iplayer capability and this one is wireless. I am now logged via this rather than the Sky Sagem router and my connection is now solid and running at around 8.8 Mbps. Not the 12-20 Sky were talking about when I signed up with them but certainly not bad.

I would still be interested in finding a program to monitor speed and reliability (if such a thing exists) more from academic interest now though rather than there being a problem.

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 03:10:55 PM »
I stole this from someone who responded to your post on another site: Broadband Monitor (http://www.beaglesoft.com/bbmonhome.htm) - it's free and claims to do what you want it to. Unfortunately I suspect you'll never get the maximum speed advertised by your ISP - 8Mbps sounds pretty good all things considered! As a cable customer I don't have the same issues, although I too rarely see full download speeds.

You can also test your connection speed online without installing any utility at all: go to http://www.speedtest.net/, although remember your results will be hampered by what else is connected to the internet through your network at that time.
Freelance writer

Offline Clare

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 01:16:38 PM »
Hi Nick, unfortunately I have already tried the Beagle software you mentioned and couldn't get on with it at all. It said that my line was down when it wasn't and generally was quite difficult to understand (that may have been me being thick though!) I've uninstalled it now. I tested my line speed with the site you mentioned and it came out within a few kbs of the one I had been using so that's reassuring. I think I'm pretty happy with that now although I suppose we'd always like to tweak a bit more speed!!!