Author Topic: The Apple Experience  (Read 1433 times)

Offline roadster

The Apple Experience
« on: October 17, 2010, 08:23:48 AM »
For those of you who have recently switched from Windows to Mas OS, tell us your experiences of the move ?

For those of you who have purchased macbooks, has the experience been so enlightening & liberating that you would ditch your desktop windows pc forever, for an all Mac OS computing environment.

To those of you, who have been long term mac users, we liked to know why you would never go back to windows again.

Thanks for sharing....

Offline Emma

• Global Moderator
Re: The Apple Experience
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »
Have you got a Mac, Roadster, or are you hoping you'll get enough information to make the choice?

I've got a Mac mini - which I've had for over a year. There were a number of reasons for getting one.

1: I needed a new PC anyway, the old one was 6 years old.

2: I use Windows extensively at work (at the time, XP on the work desktop & Vista on a Work tablet [now Windows 7]) - I was wanting my home machine to be 'different'. I also have older laptops at work with Linux on them)

3: Though I've had a digital camera for some time, I was seriously considering moving away from a film SLR to a digital one & knew that macs had a good reputation for image handling. (Took some time to get the DSLR, and I still don't do that much image work on the computer!)

4: The mac mini meant I could use the screen I already had anyway.

To be honest, I'm not finding it that different. Sure, there are things that work in a different way; the menus are more consistent (e.g. a program's preferences are always (as far as I've found anyway!) under the programme name in the top menu bar. Not in various places as they can be in Windows. On the other hand, if I've minimised a window & it's detached from the top - then I have to remember to go right to the top of the screen to see all the menus, not to the top of the window I'm using. Swings & roundabouts!

As I'm mostly using Firefox, Word for Windows, Tweetdeck etc., it's not really so much of a change.

Offline roadster

Re: The Apple Experience
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 03:18:33 PM »
We have a Macbook Pro in our household, I'm not a "seasoned pro", but have had interest in them for a few years now. Obviously am willing to learn, just like I'm sure many people are.

I think it is beneficial to have a Mac section on this forum, so everyone can learn.