Author Topic: Pay-as-you-go mobile broadband  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Clare

Pay-as-you-go mobile broadband
« on: February 02, 2010, 11:56:37 PM »
I will be moving from the rented house I've been in for 21 months into a new house in the next couple of months. The house is a new-build and I will obviously not have broadband to start with - don't know if I'll have a phone line straightaway yet. I am trying to work out the best way to get online during this time. I have seen that you can get pre-pay mobile dongles which presumably I could use afterwards to get online away from the house. Does anyone know how this sort of deal works please?

Offline Clare

Re: Pay-as-you-go mobile broadband
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 12:57:15 PM »
I went in to an O2 shop today and they were trying to sell me a dongle which cost £20 and then £2 a day, £7.50 for a week and £15 for a month. This would get over my immediate problem of geing without broadband when I move until it is enabled but wasn't quite what I had in mind. I was thinking more of a dongle with x amount of Gbs (to be decided) which doesn't have clock running on it. So, after I've stopped needing it at the new house, I could take it out and about with me on my laptop whenever I wanted and when it ran out I'd top it up.

Does such a deal exist and, if so, what size in Gbs would be OK? We use aroung 10Gb per month on average but that's with the kids looking at YouTube, using iPlayer a bit so assume that just a bit of surfing would need less? Thanks for any help.

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:18:47 AM »
I'm not sure there are any PAYG options that give you a specific amount of data that you can use over an unlimited period of time Clare.

What might be worth exploring - my mum has just purchased this - is the following package for T-Mobile: it's basically a PAYG modem loaded with three months unlimited use before it reverts to a daily/weekly/monthly tariff, so it would provide you with your main access in the short term before becoming a useful as-and-when-you-need-it option going forward. It's £39.99 all in (including modem), which is annoyingly less than I paid for the modem when I signed up for the PAYG service (without the introductory offer)!

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/broadband/mobile-broadband/buy/TMOBILE-USB-STARTERKIT-TM6G-USBPP
Freelance writer

Offline Emma

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »
I agree that they don't seem to have any that have unlimited time to use your limited GBs in; though from memory Vodaphone have a 3 month limit on their usage, rather than the more usual 1 month.

Check the coverage carefully, Clare; I have a 3 3G dongle & at times it will tell me it can see 3G coverage from just about every other network ... clearly, when I'm getting 3's coverage, I don't know what I'm not able to get as it were, but I do know there are times I'd get coverage had I had Orange or whatever instead.

Offline Clare

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »
I had a stroke of luck with this one. Turns out that Vodafone used to have just the sort of deal I've been looking for. The dongle only had 1Gb on it but it was almost unlimited usage (180 days without use I think). Then you could top it up with another 1 Gb for £15. Unfortunately this changed at the beginning of January to a more conventional 3 Gb for £15 but expiring after 30 days which is no good to me after the move. I researched a bit further and discovered that the old-style deal was still available in a few places. The old deal involves a white dongle called the K3565. The new deal is the K3565R and the dongle is pink or blue. I got the K3565 from Amazon for £24.99. It is here if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vodafone-K3565-Prepay-Mobile-Broadband/dp/B001P6KNQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266164406&sr=8-1

I was a bit concerned about coverage Emma but I checked Vodafone's coverage checker on their website and it says the new house should be fine (they would say that wouldn't they!) It works fine where I am living and I have checked it at a friend's house. My next step is to sit in the car outsde the new house and try it. Might get some funny looks from the new neighbours  ;D

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 11:59:45 AM »
Excellent news - thanks for sharing that with us, Clare.

As for my mum, the coverage where she is currently is rubbish! Thankfully they'll hopefully be getting a fixed broadband line soon.
Freelance writer

Offline Fafnir

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 09:41:27 PM »
Following on this, I very rarely could do with being able to access the internet from my laptop when away from home somewhere with no access to a landline.From Clare's post it seems I could use a cheap dongle to do so using my mobile phone. But my provider is O2. I assume a Vodaphone dongle wouldn't work.

Offline Nick Peers

• Administrator
    • nickpeers.com
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 09:47:24 AM »
You'll need a dongle specific to your provider, and you may even need a separate package too.
Freelance writer